• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just wondering what you were using inside the barrel and outside (with browned finishes) to protect your ML from rust during storage.

I've been told to use "all natural" stuff to protect that "seasoned" bore. Also, I'd hate for any oil/preservative to strip the cold browning (just controlled rust) off my gun which I've worked hard at to attain. :hmm:

Aside from your suggestions, has anyone used "Clenzoil"?

Any feedback is appreciated.
Hubertus

Never heard of Clenzoil but any gun oil will work to protect the barrel. Always wipe the bore with a clean patch before loading and shooting. GW

Both Bore butter, and Ballistol work well in preserving the exterior finish on my guns, here in the humid Midwest corn fields. Ballistol is mostly mineral oil, with some protective additives, and chemicals to break down the corrosive mercury primers that were used in the First World War, so it does quite well as a finish protector.

I have used WD40 to protect the outside of my gun. ( I don't use it in the bore, however.) It also works well. When the oil dries, it leaves behind a greasy layer that keeps fingerprints and other stuff off the finish. WD40 has its own solvent, so if you want to remove the congealed grease, just spray some WD40 on it, again, and this time wipe the surface clean.

For short term day to day protection I use Ballistol. For longer term protection I use CorrosionX. That stuff is amazing.

Johnny Tremain said:
Ive used nothing but T/C 1000+ for many years.

Only thing Ill ever use

inside and out

A srong second Johnny! :thumbsup: ,,,,This stuff rules! Don't think the "old timers" took there guns all apart and oiled them up with petrolium every time they took a shot :rotf: Just a good wipe down with natural oil and they were good to go.

Sperm whale oil (When avialable) or rendered animal fat was probly the norm.

LOL! They would have used mouse oil, if that was all they had. I bet old Bridger never heard of Thompson WL or Rem oil. :surrender:

nw_hunter said:
LOL! They would have used mouse oil, if that was all they had. I bet old Bridger never heard of Thompson WL or Rem oil. :surrender:

I bet if someone handed old Bridger a spray can of Rem-Oil he would have used it.

:v

:wink:

HD

Hubertus,

I just leave a fine coat of normal machine tool oil in the bores of my guns. BUT That being said they also get a ritual every 2 week clean up whether shot or not.

Jay

I shoot pretty regularly so I just use olive oil in the bore. I use Paste wax on my browned barrel and it has settled in to a real nice finnish.

I bought some Clenzoil from Log Cabin Shop about a year ago after reading good reviews about it on another forum. So far, it has worked well for me.

I'm cheap. I make my own oil. 50% 2-stroke motor oil and 50% kerosene. Works inside and out.

Many Klatch

Ballistol, when at home.

patch lube, when in the woods, usually a tallow/beeswax mix.
:v

Back