• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Protection

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have used moose snot for rust prevention in the bore in storage and when hunting in wet weather just make sure the bore is clean and dry first as you can seal moisture in as well as out

I use U.S. Military isue machine gun oil for storage and run a patch down the barrel every 2 weeks, it's cheap at the surplus stores..

Comparing protection systems is again somewhat Ford vs. Chevrolet.

First, where does a person live, high or low
humidity? Huh?

Where is it stored and how?

Does the storage place have a device to remove moisture? Chemical or electrical?

In all honesty, the best prevention is frequent inspection, cleaning and preventitive maintenance.

Guns out of sight for long periods of time, rust.

RDE

Hey, the main thing is to remember to put SOMETHING down there...

That said, I started using Ballistol after I read two studies (published online) that graphically demonstrated that it was most effective. But I'm getting Deja Vu here...

For a patch lube and day to day rust prevention I use a mixture of 80%lard and 20% beeswax. For storage and the guns exterior I use An industrial rust preventive. Spray On long term rust preventive.It is a mixture of oil and wax and it is a great rust preventative. An aresol can will last about a year on all of my guns and hand tools as well.

I'm fairly cheap. A can of paste wax will last a long time when used on the exterior of a barrel and other parts for that matter. 30 wt motor oil inside the bore. Both are excellent preservatives, cheap and easy to come by.

Back