• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Muzzleloader Safety in the Field

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Rotten

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been reading on this forum for some time trying to decide what direction to go for a Black Powder long arm for hunting. The choices seem to be virtually endless so I'll try to keep this to a specific point. Caplock vs. Flintlock. Particularly if the Caplock is "Safer" for use in the field. Can you make a loaded flint lock truely safe without firing off the charge. Would a loaded cap lock with the caps removed and hammer down be considered safe? How do you make your muzzleloader "Safe" in the field?

What would be some specific safety concerns to consider before taking to the field other than the common and accepted safety rules for firearms in general?

DR, You can only do so much to any firearm to make it safe! The biggest safety feature of any weapon is the user! That being said.....

With a caplock I remove the cap and lower the hammer on a piece of leather.

With a flinter I remove the prime, Plug the vent with a feather or tooth pick, and lower the hammer with the frizzin open.
A frizzen stall is a good idea, But I cant seem to hang on to one.

"What would be some specific safety concerns to consider before taking to the field other than the common and accepted safety rules for firearms in general?"

Keep your horn away from the fire and treat your ML like any other (loaded) firearm and you should be OK!

Dirty Rotten said:
How do you make your muzzleloader "Safe" in the field?
Hammer Stall on a loaded / primed Flintlock is like the safety on a modern centerfire rifle.
And the other normal firearms safety practices also apply...muzzle direction, treat all guns as if loaded, be sure of your target, be sure of what's behind your target, etc, etc.

090311HammerStallonChambersDeluxeSiler.jpg

Thank you for the responses. This helps me. There are many times while I'm out in the field that I'll simply unload my shotgun to make safe before attending to whatever business I have to do. It's easy enough to do with my pump and I was wondering how you guys handle it.

Thank you,

Dirty

Back