• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first black powder bird!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose smasher

32 Cal.
Reaction score
After coming very close twice this week I finally sealed the deal on my first ever muzzle loader turkey. I don't normally go for the jakes but I decided any legal bird would be great with my muzzle loader. He came in perfect and I knocked him over at 15 steps. Shot him with 100gr. fg,2 1/8"ox yoke wads,1 thin over shot card,2 ounces of # 6 shot with 1 1/8" ox yoke over shot wad.
IMG_1710.jpg

Goose smasher

Nice job !. You know your gun's and charge effective range. Most of the people around here use #4 shot for turkey. But #6 does the job at closer ranges. Knowing your guns effective range is critical for success. :wink:

That's outstanding, I know you're pumped...congratulations !

Do you have any more tags to go again?

As an aside, I personally think we impose unnecessary handicaps on ourselves when #4's or #5's are used due to the smaller number of pellets / thinner shot patterns.

#6's in hard magnum lead, copper plated, or nickel plated all blow right through a heavy metal tuna can at 40 yards out of my .20ga Flintlock so there's no worries about #6s having the energy at distance, plus the pattern is fuller as well.

This year, because my Full choke gun was not available, I had to use one Jug Choked "Improved Cylinder PLUS"...so I went to nickel plated #7s to keep the pattern full and they easily dropped a Tom at 25 yards.

Great fun! Good going and a very nice photograph.

I agree with roundball. I use #6's as well in my cylinder bores. I only test patterns and penetration to 30yds., with these old guns and it has proven to me very effective.

I had spent alot of time on the range this spring and was confident out to twenty five yards and he was well under that. I totally agree about the 6's. I think we're already handicapped enough with the smoke pole and at the ranges our guns are effective at 6's will work just fine! It was very cool looking into the sun and waiting 2-3 seconds for the smoke to clear to see him flopping around!!

Goose smasher

GS.
You need to change your handle to Turkey Smasher! Two ounces! Were you able to hang on to the gonne? Whew! :surrender: :bow: :shocked2: :hatsoff:
Ok, I'll get off my rant now.
Congratulations. Nice work.
volatpluvia

Smokin’ thunder chickens with blackpowder, a sweet addiction, hope they never find a cure. Welcome to the club! Awesome kill. From the looks of that bird, all your work at the pattern board turned out a very effective load.

Congratulations on the nice bird! I have also found that #6 works fine on turkey. Hope you get many more. Leon

Latest posts

Back