• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My first Primitative Friction Folder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50cal.cliff

58 Cal.
Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a friction folder. Lets say I have learned alot from this one.
I have been making knives from an old two man saw. This piece of steel was left over after cutting about 10 blanks. they were arranged where there was little to no waste.
This piece was the only left over of any size and being the frugal (cheapie) :shocked2: that I am I decided that there had to be somthing that could be made of it! I have been wanting to do a friction folder but this might not have been the perfect candidate becasue its size and shape dictated the size and shape of the knife.
First I had to find an antler for the knife and of course there was nothing straight enough. This piece was the right shape but bowed. I boiled it in a pot for 20-30 min. threw in between two boards in my vise and begin yanking and cranking. When I could turn no more I left it for about 2-3 days to completely dry.
This is how it turned out.
000_1086.jpg

The round washers are mde from the same piece of saw steel as the blade was cut from.
000_1083.jpg

The pin that locks it out to the horn is made from a steel pin and a welding rod pins it together.
000_1087.jpg

A welding rod makes the pin at the pivot of the blade also.
000_1079.jpg

Its been quite a learning curve. The first thing I learned is that it might be better to cut the steel to fit the knife than the other way around.
A thanks to Wick for his advice on folders even though he might not want his name associated with this particular knife! :shocked2: :haha:
My next project is a attempt at a Rawhide sheath, (you will notice I said attempt) for this knife. As that will be a first also. Because of the longer length of this knife the sheath will end up being longer than those for most folders. There it is again, that piece of steel I didn't want to waste coming back to bite me again. Oh well live and learn!!!!!!!!

Now thats pretty cool! Nice unique knife you made there. :thumbsup:

Btw looks like blood drops just below the knife in that bottom pic, sharp is it? :haha:

I hadn't noticed that till you said it Swampy but I ain't drawn blood with this one yet! But then again I still got to put a final ege on it! :shocked2:
Thanks for all the great comments everyone. I think next one will turn out better cause I intend to try and plan it instead of the steel dictating how it ends up!

Wick, I have it all cut out and been stareing at it for two days now. If you want to call that a start.
The way I figure it I will get tired of looking at it and get up the gumption/nerve to tackle it and start in the next day or two! :haha:

Latest posts

Back