• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My First with a Flintlock!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outdoor Success

32 Cal.
Reaction score
7/15/2011 I have been a Traditional Bowhunter most of my adault life any gun hunting I have done has been with a cap lock muzzleloader. as of Monday this week I am a proud owner of a Traditions .50 cal. Flintlock. I have not even had a chance to shoot it yet, BUT the goal is set to take a whitetail deer with my first Flintlock! Posted here will be the steps and hunts taken to reach this goal. (Wish me luck :grin: )

Sounds good...and you should have plenty of time to get familiar with it, get it dialed in, etc.
Good luck !

Go get 'em, Tiger!

Muzzleloaders are easier than bowhunting because of the added range and ability to hold as long as needed - like when waiting for the buck to step past a tree. But you may find some other complications. Do lots of practice in hunting conditions.

Good luck.

Not to get way off subject but what did you do to your shoulder? I tore my rotator but hope to return to the recurve after surgery. I'm just not sure that will be possible.

Speaking for me anyway I toar the muscle over my shoulder blade about 5 years ago. I spent those first couple years shooting a low poundage compound fingers and instingtive so I could keep hunting Last year I was back to full Tradition bows but only shooting around 55# now (used to be 75 - 85#)But back on the subject of post I was able to make powder in pan go POOOFFFFFF!! Still have not loaded the barrle yet but it's a start, considering I broke 2 flints trying to get them lined up properly! Have a synthetic flint in now. Not sure if that good or bad but seemed to work :grin:

GUN GO KA_BOOOOOOM!! It was great!!! going on what folks have taught me here we made her fire and put in a 2" group at 50 yards :grin: of cource it was 7 inches to the right :( now I have to figure out if it was me or I have to adjust sites, but was way to hot to mess with it long. Step one complete :grin:

Back