• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your rifle looks just fine. Don't worry about what an old guy who spends all his time on the key board says.

Well, Jonathan, all the semantics and :bull: aside, you have a nice looking rifle and I know you are proud of it. I want to give you a bit of very valuable advice and that is to get a copy of Dutch Schoultz Muzzleloading Rifle Accuracy System. It is the absolute best information on the proper methodology for getting maximum accuracy that your rifle is capable of. It costs $20 and you can't find anything having to do with muzzleloading that will be more valuable to you now and in the future with any other muzzleloading rifles you may acquire than the Dutch Schoultz system. Read it, study it, re-read it and then do it exactly as he tells you. He'll have you cutting Xs with your rifle.
www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I just thought of something else, you mentioned using shaders for your sights and that is a really great idea. One of our members, I forget who at the moment, maybe Rifleman1776 or Roundball, posted an idea on the forum that is worthy of your consideration. He took ordinary plastic drain pipe, such as one would use under a sink, and cut off pieces that looked to be about 3 inches long. He then cut each piece down the side so it could be opened up and clamped onto the barrel (you may have to remove a bit of material to get it to fit on your barrel but you want it to clamp on tightly so it will stay in place). Then he spray painted each piece a nice absolutely flat black inside and out. When finished, he clamped each piece, with its own natural springiness, over both his front and rear sights. A real dandy set of inexpensive shaders. Just something for your consideration. :hatsoff:

Billnpatti said:
Well, Jonathan, all the semantics and :bull: aside, you have a nice looking rifle and I know you are proud of it. I want to give you a bit of very valuable advice and that is to get a copy of Dutch Schoultz Muzzleloading Rifle Accuracy System. It is the absolute best information on the proper methodology for getting maximum accuracy that your rifle is capable of. It costs $20 and you can't find anything having to do with muzzleloading that will be more valuable to you now and in the future with any other muzzleloading rifles you may acquire than the Dutch Schoultz system. Read it, study it, re-read it and then do it exactly as he tells you. He'll have you cutting Xs with your rifle.
www.blackpowderrifleaccuracy.com

Yep, got my copy last month or so. I have to get some bulk .020" patching to make the dry lube. Tried it once but I think i wrung out to much and they pretty much just blew apart.

My best group was with 110gr 1 1/2fg olde eynsford, .020" patch and .570" ball. At 100 yards it grouped 1 1/8"

Last edited by a moderator:
Billnpatti said:
I just thought of something else, you mentioned using shaders for your sights and that is a really great idea. One of our members, I forget who at the moment, maybe Rifleman1776 or Roundball, posted an idea on the forum that is worthy of your consideration. He took ordinary plastic drain pipe, such as one would use under a sink, and cut off pieces that looked to be about 3 inches long. He then cut each piece down the side so it could be opened up and clamped onto the barrel (you may have to remove a bit of material to get it to fit on your barrel but you want it to clamp on tightly so it will stay in place). Then he spray painted each piece a nice absolutely flat black inside and out. When finished, he clamped each piece, with its own natural springiness, over both his front and rear sights. A real dandy set of inexpensive shaders. Just something for your consideration. :hatsoff:
Almost positive it was Rifleman and a great idear too

2_Tall said:
Billnpatti said:
Almost positive it was Rifleman and a great idear too

Yep, me, guilty as charged.
No need to clamp unless going into the woods. Natural springiness of the plastic holds them on quite well at the range.

Rifleman1776 said:
Rat Trapper said:
I think your rifle looks just fine. Don't worry about what an old guy who spends all his time on the key board says.

The personal asignations say more about you than anything else.

You guys should have seen the nasty PM I just received from the rifleman! Well he was the one who started things and I have no use for people like this. I still think the rifle in the orginal post looks just fine.

Rat Trapper said:
You guys should have seen the nasty PM I just received from the [R]ifleman!
Does a PM count as a "post"? He has an average and reputation to maintain. 23 posts in the past two and a half days!

I'm half teasing him for his hard line disposition but we're a fraternity so no-one should really be nasty; neither should enthusiasm be dampened.

Finally, sometimes people who say alot have alot to say. Not always, but often.

:wink:

Its to bad that even on here people cant seem to get along. Maybe thats why the MOUNTAINMEN only had roondy once a year.

:haha: guys come on, its not a big deal, I didnt take any offense to it. I've love to see some original hawken rifles myself, but they dont seem to exist on the forums.

She's my baby though, I have owned a lot of muzzleloaders in the 15 years ive been MLing, but this one is the icing and the cake all in one package.

I too like the Hawken weapon...oops I mean rifle....ahhh...gun? October Country has a beautiful Hawken, but a little to pricey for me...as least right now...anyone know a good 3 digit number? I do have a " T/C Hawken " with a 32" G.M. barrel and she shoots just fine...little on the heavy side though, especially with the brass rod! Only thing I changed was the lock...switched to flint for more reliable ignition! :wink:

Ive got two Hawkens and both say T/C on them. Im just as proud of them as I would be a $5000.00 custom. I like guns no matter what they are. Mike

mike3132 said:
Ive got two Hawkens and both say T/C on them. Im just as proud of them as I would be a $5000.00 custom. I like guns no matter what they are. Mike
Hey I am know as a hawkens man prolly because I own so many of them. Last count was a 45,50, and 54 TC hawkens (percussion), a 45 flinter, investarms 54 flinter, a gpr 50 and 54 percussion, and one gpr 54 flinter. Not really sure why I have so many they just seem to find me. People find me or call me when they have one or knows someone selling one I usually get them dirt cheap to. Last one I got was a 50 cal TC Hawkens with a renegade barrel that was likely never shot I paid 125 for it at a bargain bin at a gun shop. Seems since the barrel didn't match it renegade barrel on a hawkens it was of no value ha ha.

Though I have one myself and like it a lot, I never did understand why TC called them a "Hawken". Always thought it looked closer to a "Dimmick". TC should have gone more the way of Lyman and called it a "Mountain" or "Plains" rifle. I don't know how many times I've run into guys claiming their TC "Hawkens" were copies of the original rifle Jim Bridger carried or some such nonsense. Then I get out the books and show them pictures of original Hawken rifles a lot of them seem confused and defensive. Kind of like what a lot or you guys are doing.

Still, they are your rifles and you can call them whatever you want to. Just don't get all bent out of shape if some of us don't agree.

I have a TC 50 cal & it doesn`t say anything, only there name, address, & 50 cal. with 30 inch barrel. I just call it my Thompson Muzzle loader.

Back