• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

my jp murray was *smokin* hot !

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeMat1856

45 Cal.
Reaction score
. may 11 / 02:00

last friday i finally took my 'jp' to the range for a real workout, and i was really impresssed.

using 'off-the-shelf' .575" (mould #575213-os 500gr) conicals and 60gr FF goex, with rws four wing musket caps, i put 18 out of 18 in a 6" target at 25 yards - like butter.. recoil was almost zero !

didn't have to swab once and each round loaded finger tight using just the original, metal rod.

two questions:
1) it sounded like the shots were 'subsonic' and somewhat quieter than i had expected.. more of a thump than a crack like the other center fire shooters there that day.

2) how can i know if the conicals are expanding correctly ? this range doesn't allow us to dig out spent lead from the berm inbetween sessions (we shoot, check targets only, then shoot again).. the target showed large perforations, but because there were so many that were touching and i just kept using the same orange dot (birchwood stick-on's), i coundn't really see if any were keyholeing..

lastly, anyone who doubts the capability of a cute, little carbine sized percussion rifle should reconsider.. this one is a breeze to load, maintain, and use for hours on end.. plus, ya' gotta love all that brass..... :thumbsup:

~d~

ps. i hand coated each round with one layer of a lube that came with this 'in/out auto luber' i got from northeast trading company since i don't have the fixin's for doit-yourself method.. no complaints about this gadget and its effectiveness whatsoever.. i just dip once on the center stand and let 'em cool.. covers outside and inside perfectly.

say 'hello' to "corporal murray":

JPMURRAYMLF5.jpg

lets see a pic of your JP, as the pic you posted is a picture of my JP Murray in my backyard.

they are great little muskets though aren't they.

ha, ha, ha !

probably 1:1,000,000 that would happen - but it's true.. the only picture of mine (which looks identical but for the fact that mine has a white cloth shoulder strap) is so small and fuzzy that it doesn't do the rifle justice.

i can't actually see your copyright mark, so i hope you don't mind since the purpose is to show off the attributes of the "jp" itself.

is this better ?
this is the original from the seller:
JPMURRAY2009.jpg

sorry if i've offended you, but you take much better photographs and i don't have a digital camera.

~d~

In RE: velocity, the paper work that came with my Musketoon many years ago stated that 75 gr of 2FFg gave about 850FPS...about as fast as a .38 special. However that one ounce + ball hits like a Mack Truck.

If you were using pure lead, then that 60gr load should have opened up the skirt.

p

Mark Lewis said:
You should try 60 grains of 3f. I believe you'd like it.

Thats true. I use 55gr of 3FFFg since 1975. I am going to start using 50gr. for plinking. That will also be plenty for deer or even CAL. wild pigs.
p

so basically, don't be afraid to open 'er up a little.. i can deal with that..

it's on the to-do list: 55-60 FFF or up to 75 FF

since i have lots more FFF, i'll go that route first.. i still can't believe what a 'tack driver' this bad boy turned out to be.

thanks for the advice.

~d~

If the powder charge expands the skirt into your grooves, a close inspection of the holes in your paper target should show the lands and grooves around those edges. Sometimes you have to bend back the torn edges of the hoes in the paper, to see this, but its there. :thumbsup:

If you can't see it in paper, then shoot a bullet through corrugated cardboard, and look for the lands and grooves, there.

paul,

the target is pretty tore up because i used it for both .454's and .575's over several hours that day..

i'll have to try it again and use your suggestion to measure the skirt.. i also have some buffalo balletts to try on my next excursion to the range.

give me a couple of weeks / month or so and i'll post results.

thanks everyone, :hatsoff:

~d~

You should try 35-45 grains of 3F and see what kind of groups you get with that. I have a zoli zouave that I shoot 40 grains of 3F with the lyman 510 grain minie and the bullets will almost go into the same hole at 50 yards. And if you are using pure lead then the skirt is doing its job. If it wasnt then you would probably see a key hole every now and then. Like I said I only use 40 grains and if the skirt didnt expand I probably wouldn't hit the paper at 50 yards.

Latest posts

Back