• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

My New .54 GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swampman

69 Cal.
Reaction score
I've been cleaning it up and lubing/adjusting things. The wedge pins were 2 loose so I had to close up the staples a bit. The ramrod falls out really easy. I wish Investarms would put a ramrod retaining spring on the barrel rib like T/C does. I slathered the stock all up with Minwax Satin Tungoil Finish twice and then wiped it off after a few minutes to seal the barrel channel, lock mortice, and areas where the finish was thin. I got it for $399.00 which is more than I wanted to pay but it is a .54 and unfired.

I just received a new Lyman GPR in .50 but with the exact opposite issues :) The ramrod is extremely tight due to a retaining spring and the rear wedge pin won't even go all the way in and needs loosening.

My 1985 Great Plains Rifle doesn't have a ramrod retaining spring or any provisions for one.

Without the barrel in place the ramrod is very easy to insert into the stock but if the barrel is in place it takes a bit more effort.
I think this is because of a slight misalignment between the barrel thimbles and the entry pipe (thimble).

As for the barrel retaining keys mine have a very slight bend to them. If they are inserted upside down they are quite loose. If they are inserted right side up they are a "snug" fit.

If yours are too tight you might try bending them just a little.
A small vise and a very light tap with a hammer could solve your problems.

My Lyman GPR came with a ramrod retaining spring very similar to one on a TC. It isn’t in the exact same location bit it is there. The GPR is a good rifle and with a few minor tweaks it is a great rifle. Mine miss-fired about every third shot until I drilled the touchhole with a #50 drill. I also coned it with a counter sink bit. An extra piece of leather under the flint to help correct the poor lock geometry and it has fired every time.
I was shooting pine cones with it right out of the box.
Woops, I forgot this is the cap forum cause mine is a flint! But I bet they are simular in preformance.

My Lyman/Investarms has no retaining spring and the rod wouldn't stay in to save my life. I just pulled the barrel off and stuck a patch down in the slot, now it stays in just fine :thumbsup:

How do you close up the staples? One of my wedges is too loose and the other is too tight. How are those staples attached?silver solder?

The loose ones I just give a couple of taps in the center with my ballpeen.

Thanks for the tip, when I got home this evening I discovered that after removing them, removing the escutcheon's (by far the weirdest word I've learned during my foray into muzzleloaders), putting everything back together and then working the wedge pins in and out a few times everything fit much better.

Mark --
My retaining spring is located about 3 inches beyond where the stock ends, maybe a newer model?

I have two .54 GPR's, one kit flintlock (proofed 2007) and one factory percussion (proofed 1986). The factory percussion has a bottom barrel rib that is not removable (no visible screws/bolts/pins), but it does have a ramrod retaining spring. The kit flintlock bottom barrel rib is removable and there's no retaining spring.

The factory gun had no issues with the wedges fitting, however, I bought it used, so the previous owner(s) may have dealt with it. The kit was another matter. Neither wedge would fit even taking into account the front/back and slight bend features. Took a little filing on the escutcheons to get them to work. I pinned both sets so that I don't have to deal with what wedge goes in what hole any more.

My three year old GPR .54 has a retaining spring but I did have to mess with the wedge pins to get a tighter fit. After more than a few session at the range the rifle and I are seeing the same sight more often that not these days and I'm a Very Happy Camper because of it.

Mike

Wattsy said:
Huntin Dawg said:
All of my Lyman rifles have retaining springs for the RR.

:hmm:

HD

Mine too....I think some comments are Very and habitually ummmmm UNinformed. :wink:
You mean those of us who actually have a Lyman GPR without the spring are simply uninformed? How do I get 'informed' so that the spring will reappear?

Mykeal. Looks like you and rusty and I must belong to the "Uninformed GPR Association of the MLF". :grin:

Just out of curiosity, was your GPR also made in the mid 1980's? I notice that rusty's was '83-'84 and mine is an '85.

I don't know when they showed up, but I'm glad they're there. I lost mine for a while (don't ask), and whatta PITA that was. Glad I found it later.

It wouldn’t be too hard for you “uninformed GPR owners” to install one. Then you will be an “informed GPR owner” like the rest of us!

There are so many other ways to apply friction to a ramrod to keep it in its channel when a gun is fired, that its hardly worth the cost and bother to worry about getting a replacement "spring" to do the job.

I have actually known people to throw the things away after finding it blocking the ramrod channel because of a loose screw. I guess those are " uninformed" GPR owners, too, right????? :idunno: :youcrazy:

Latest posts

Back