• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Mystery 40 cal rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

combat32

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought this 40 about a month ago, my pics don't do it justice today as it is cloudy and cold outside. Very pretty curly maple stock, it was missing the rear sight when I bought it and I am just about done with the replacement, I went with a buckhorn style, just waiting on the browning to cure. The lock says Goulcher, which looks to be old, but most everything else on this rifle looks new like a fairly recent build. I have no history on it. It came from the estate of a gentleman who passed not too long ago. I bought several guns from his collection, most are new repos, never fired, I do know this came out of the central Illinois area.

Can't be an original gun, looks too good, other than the lock I can find no markings on it anywhere, and I really dont want to take it apart. Anyone here seen one like this?

I would say it has been fired, but not much, of course I'm gonna shoot it.

Attachments

• PXL_20210207_163848579(1).jpg
    PXL_20210207_163848579(1).jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 104
  • PXL_20210207_163859644(1).jpg
    PXL_20210207_163859644(1).jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 92
  • PXL_20210207_163923561(1).jpg
    PXL_20210207_163923561(1).jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 96
Can't be an original gun, looks too good, other than the lock I can find no markings on it anywhere, and I really dont want to take it apart. .

IMO, it's a genny...

It's a little hard to see, but there's a mark on the lockplate that may say "Golcher"

If it does, Joseph Golcher was a lockmaker who was located in Philadelphia PA circa the mid 19th century.

His locks were sold to gunsmiths all over the country, particularly in the East.

He made percussion and flint gun locks circa 1825 - 1860

Lockplate is marked G. Golcher, but I just saw on TOW website that they sell repo locks marked like this, I think it was just aged, it's a nice rifle seems to be well made by someone with some skills.

"Joseph Golcher was a lockmaker who was located in Philadelphia PA circa the mid 19th century". My Money says he probably did some pretty nice work, and had the skills you speak of at least as well as folks these days. My opinion only. Hope it original, that would be TOO COOL>

Back