• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Navy Arms Mikoru

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chasmar

Pilgrim
Reaction score
1861 Navy Arms Springfield, made in Japan by Mikoru. Can these made into a good skirmish rifle ? Any thoughts or expierence with these. Thanks.

I have an 1863 Miruko rifle however mine came from Diie Gun Woks. In my opinion, they were the best mass produced reproduction rifle ever made. The size and shape are exact. As far as shooting, once the trigger pull is adjusted, it should shoot fine. You may want to put a taller front sight on and install a blank rear sight and cut a new notch. Out of the box they shoot really high. This summer I am going to make a new stock for mine, out of walnut.
Brian

I think they were the first 3 band Springfields to hit the market...like back in 1974-ish. So they have been around awhile. Look at it and see if you like it better than an Italian job

P.

hannibal said:
1861 Navy Arms Springfield, made in Japan by Mikoru. Can these made into a good skirmish rifle ?

I once ran six 1 1/2-inch moskeets with my Dixie/Mikoru at 50 yards in a Northwest Territory skirmish at Yeck's farm. Darn tootin' they can make a fine skirmish rifle. Like the man said, trigger job, higher front sight and you're in business. :thumbsup:

is there a source for replacement parts for them?
have a line on one, that has a broken band on.

"Mikoru." are ya kidding...send it to me I'll get rid of it for ya.... You won't find a better made rifle anyplace, don't know what they do but like the little 6 cyl 1990 4 wheel drive 180mph Skylines they do know how to build some things we can just dream about..ya got a good one I hope. Fred

Brain, take that barrel band to any good welding shop and have them TIG weld it back together. Have them add a little extra filler metal and you should be able to match the original contours with no problems. :thumbsup:

i'am a welder/pipefighter.
teh band is brass. missing about .375'' of stuff.
we don't have any brass at the shop. could braze it, but thought that just finding a replacement part would be easier....maybe not.

That's kinda odd -- why would a repop '61 Spfld have a brass band?

(Answer: to rouse its spirits! :barf: Sorry, couldn't help myself there...)

Seriously, folks... if it's the top or bottom band, you might luck out at a big gun show and find an original to replace it. A guy had a box of original Springfield bands at an OGCA show a few years back. I bought a top band (kinda rusted) for I think $2. Cleaned it up and it fit like it was made for it (which, of course, it was)! So Now I have a Dixie Miroku with ONE original part. Makes for a (short) conversation piece. :yakyak:

yes large brass pactch box
rear site is three different height blades that flip up.

Sounds like you have one of the old Miroku "Zouave" rifles. It will also make a great skirmish rifle. Find the right bullet diameter and powder charge and it will do the job.

I don' think the Japs ever made a Mississippi. They made Zouaves, Model 63s and 64s and lastly Model 61s. They also made a 2nd Model Brown Bess.

yeap, that looks like the one.
seeings how it's a northern gun, i might pick it up.

Back