• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need advise!!! Colt 1860 serial #s fake or legit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be aware that there are duplicate number stamps or dies out there and they get used. The numbers alone do not always tell the story. Trust if you must, but as number 40 said, verify.
I don't trust it. That's why I'm asking you fine fellas about serial marks. I'm also not smoozed by the engraving on cylinder and backstrap but it is key points of my interest. Anything from 61-63 before the fire razed the Colt factory will fit the bill quite nicely for me. Im certain I'll feel the energy coming off of it soon as one is in my hand.🙃

Unless there is ROCK SOLID provenance on that inscription, it's meaningless. And that engraving all looks brand new. The refinish and the "changed" cylinder engraving (assuming that's even the original cylinder) have killed any collectors value this gun may have had. Even if this pistol started life as an untouched 19thC Colt, it's not worth ANYHTING near $2500 in it's current state. Save you money and buy a nice 2nd Generation Colt and shoot the heck out of it.

It appears that the seller, Collectors Firearms, does not provide any history on this piece on their web site. And they are not exactly known for their down-to-earth pricing.

Last edited:
The ser.# would be an 1863 build if original and I'm not sure if 1860's had the cap groove then or not. Mike Bellevue had an excellent video on YT a few years ago describing the different versions of the 1860's produced. At any rate the gun has been redone so it's value is being greatly inflated, "Bidenomics" I reckon.

The Kindig' s were big deal antique collectors and sales starting around 1925.
I would venture to say that it is a presentation piece.
I've had several colts come in on consignment the last few years.
There would be like 1870's manufacturer. then back to the factory and had been redone. $2,500 for this isn't a bad price.

There would be like 1870's manufacturer. then back to the factory and had been redone. $2,500 for this isn't a bad price.
Wonder why the seller wouldn’t document that provenance? So the recommendation is to buy on a ‘venture to say’?

Personally, the only ‘presentation’ guns that I have seen hold their value include Winchester, those with John Wayne’s name on them and Colt, but condition was everything. Though this a Colt, I don’t see the ruffed up cylinder and the lack of a paper trail helping the value, but that’s just me and my lunch money.

Last edited:
Unless there is ROCK SOLID provenance on that inscription, it's meaningless. And that engraving all looks brand new. The refinish and the "changed" cylinder engraving (assuming that's even the original cylinder) have killed any collectors value this gun may have had. Even if this pistol started life as an untouched 19thC Colt, it's not worth ANYHTING near $2500 in it's current state. Save you money and buy a nice 2nd Generation Colt and shoot the heck out of it.

It appears that the seller, Collectors Firearms, does not provide any history on this piece on their web site. And they are not exactly known for their down-to-earth pricing.
I admire your zeal haha. Seriously thank you

Wonder why the seller wouldn’t document that provenance? So the recommendation is to buy on a ‘venture to say’?

Personally, the only ‘presentation’ guns that I have seen hold their value include Winchester, those with John Wayne’s name on them and Colt, but condition was everything. Though this a Colt, I don’t see the ruffed up cylinder and the lack of a paper trail helping the value, but that’s just me and my lunch money.
Im not concerned about holding value for the future. I don't have a collector mindset in that it would never be a safe queen. It be ready at all times. It be brought to light real quick if needed to be mustered into service relieving the dearly departed of what must be the over whelming grief they have had after walking through my front door. Haha. 🙃

Im not concerned about holding value for the future. I don't have a collector mindset in that it would never be a safe queen. It be ready at all times. It be brought to light real quick if needed to be mustered into service relieving the dearly departed of what must be the over whelming grief they have had after walking through my front door. Haha. 🙃
Well, in your OP, quoted below, you asked for thoughts, and that is what you got, at least from me. Go ahead and do whatever it is that suits your fancy, as it really doesn’t impact me, other than potentially driving up the ‘price’ of originals in a questionable state (questionable state is the reason for your OP, correct?), thus upping the value of any original and unmolested samples I (or others) have for either my heirs or I when the time comes to sell, but honestly not a concern. I say go for it, it’s only your money.

Please let us see photographs when your new purchase arrives.
Refinished and inscribed Colt 1860 serial dates to 1863 thats been refinished. Does these serial numbers look legit? Fake? Thoughts? Any help appreciated.

Well, in your OP, quoted below, you asked for thoughts, and that is what you got, at least from me. Go ahead and do whatever it is that suits your fancy, as it really doesn’t impact me, other than potentially driving up the ‘price’ of originals in a questionable state (questionable state is the reason for your OP, correct?), thus upping the value of any original and unmolested samples I (or others) have for either my heirs or I when the time comes to sell, but honestly not a concern. I say go for it, it’s only your money.

Please let us see photographs when your new purchase arrives.
I appreciate your thoughts and opinion on such
Thank you kindly

I read alot about them yesterday. Seems I read in one article one of them Kindigs have no regard to function but rather focused on the art of such. But that Kindig Jr doesn't fit the time line as he was born after the date on the backstrap.. still digging. Mind overload haha. There is also a thread on this forum about Kindig. One of em anyway

Doc, I appreciate your opinion and knowledge shared as well

Refinished and inscribed Colt 1860 serial dates to 1863 thats been refinished. Does these serial numbers look legit? Fake? Thoughts? Any help appreciated.

As other forum members state some of the restamped serial numbers on this pistol look wrong, a look at the bore will verify it the barrel section is actually the real deal & shootable.
You can buy an honest 1860 for the same money or less.

I shoot original Colt & Remington revolvers because their gain twist rifling produces the best accuracy.
Modern production C&B Colts including the 1860s don't have the same style rifling, they have slower twist & shallower depth rifling.

Back