• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEED C&B DANGEROUS GAME BACKUP!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blizzard.......
That's a very fine idea.
But it makes me wonder if a rifled barrel is of any real use. How about a double pistol that's smooth / smooth?
I have found that smooth pistols are almost as accurate as I can hold to about 20 yards. After that a rifled one is better, but at 25 yards you'd use your rifle.
In non'dangerous country a double barreled "belt shotgun" loaded with....say....#5 lead shot would be a heck of a pot filler.
In dangerous country, load both barrels with heavy charges and hard balls.

Just a thought.
I may have to do this for my self, and see how it works out. :hmm:
Great idea
:hatsoff:

I have three Walkers, and none of them suffers from the dreaded lever drop. If they did, I would take a small file and make the ledge on the retaining spring a little flatter. I like my Dragoons, but if it were a life or death hunting situation, I'd take the extra power of the Walker anyday.

well I have to agree with Frank here.

Rule #1 is shoot enough gun and make a good shot the 1st time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rule #2 is "if you fail with rule #1,,,,,,,,,there are no more rules!"

I hunt with my 62 flintlock in Grizzly country, but I also carry a 454 Casull loaded with 370 grain LBT bullets and all the 296 powder that will fit in the case.
That's NOT because I am macho.

It's because .....I am afraid of mad grizzlies, and I am not afraid to admit it. :shocked2:
SZ

That load should get you about 2000 ftlbs.

My favorite loadin AK for my FA 83 (Field Grade) was 350gr LBTWFN & 31gr 296/H110 (compressed).

Hit about 1700fps/2200ftlbs. :shocked2:

I got so I could dump all 5 into a paper plate at 25yds one handed from the draw in 8.6 sec. :hmm: That's all the accuracy I needed to bust a griz collarbone. :grin:

Yea, 'cept paper plates won't eat ya, and yer not slippin' in brown stuff trying to get away from a paper plate. Makes aiming harder. :grin:

Ironsides, You and I may have talked in the past. Have you ever called cast Performance?

I founded Cast Performance Bullet Company. I was the CEO for a while.
The bullets are without equal in the game field, and I have never found anything more accurate. Federal likes them enough to buy them from us and load them in there Premeium Ammo.

I am glad you liked them
:thumbsup:

You may want to check the laws in the state you are going to be hunting in. Here in California, it is illegal to be in possession of a muzzleloading pistol (cap or flint) or cap and ball revolver. The law states a handgun must be centerfire with expanding tip ammo. You may not have a 1847 Walker .44, but you may carry a .25 ACP with hollow points. Makes no sense! :youcrazy: In Alabama, you may with any muzzleloading handgun (pistol or revlover) as long as it's .40 cal. or greater.

I believe bayonets were first invented for wild boar hunters to defend themselves from their prey. I think the best back up though would be another barrel, (side by side or swivel) I would rather have a .58 or .72 cal bullet coming from a rifle barrel than try to unholster some giant bolder of a revolver, hope that I can work the thing and see if somehow I was able to rotate the cylinder for yet another shot. A back up friend/guide with modern rifle would be the best or a Ruger Alaskan revolver or similar second. Otherwise you’re trying to talk yourself into buying another BP gun, and I can’t blame you for that I do it all the time, I just don’t have the money to follow through.

You don't fire any revolver type carbine or rifle with your weak hand in front of the cylinder, not even a cartridge version. The flash from the cylinder gap will sear your wrist. You might do it once, but I doubt any one would do it twice. The proper way to hold such a piece is with your off hand well behind the gap--much like a two handed hold on a regular revolver. It's a bit awkward, and that may be why these guns didn't really catch on.

Steve Zihn said:
Ironsides, You and I may have talked in the past. Have you ever called cast Performance?

I founded Cast Performance Bullet Company. I was the CEO for a while.
The bullets are without equal in the game field, and I have never found anything more accurate. Federal likes them enough to buy them from us and load them in there Premeium Ammo.

I am glad you liked them
:thumbsup:

Maybe a zillion years ago... (like, 1991?)

They are sweet.

Back