• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help choosing a muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a first time hunt, buy a .50 or .54 caliber precussion side lock gun.
The used gun prices will vary from $125 thru $400 and up to a point, you get what you pay for.

This is not to say the $125 gun isn't fine, and indeed, it may be as accurate as the high dollar guns. It just won't last as long before it starts developing problems.

The advice about trying them out is great, but if you cannot find one in your area I will mention that although it is an excellent gun, the Lyman Great Plains Rifle is quite heavy.
The Thompson Center, CVA and Traditions half stock guns are about 1-2 pounds lighter.

Don't be afraid of the big bores kick.
Black Powder guns do not kick like modern cartridge guns. The kick is slower, so it's more like a mighty hard shove than the sharp slap of modern guns.

Out to 100 yards, a .50 or .54 round ball is just as effective as most modern arms. A good solid hit will knock the game A$$ over teakettle. A poor hit with a muzzleloader or a .300 Weatherby Magnum won't get the job done.

Let us know what you decide. :)

Don't forget we have a Classified Ad section here.

To get there, poke the word "Classifieds" at the upper right hand side of the box at the top of the screen.

There are some pretty good deals there, and I have yet to hear of someone ripping off anyone at this site. :)

OK, I like flintlocks and recognize that most game is harvested closer than 100 yards. But I'll march apart from the gang here and play the role of the outsider in suggesting that you get a Minie gun. That is, any American Civil War rifle musket. Keep it short like a musketoon (24") or short rifle (33"). It'll be handier in the woods. Easy to load and the umph of a 500 plus grain minie ball.

First consideration if it is specifically for a hunt is what the state rules and regulations call for.

A .50 or .54 is ideal for whitetail.

Round ball or conical? Round ball is more traditional, conical is more efficient (some range advantage) and much more expensive unless you cast your own. They call for different rifling twists. If you're sticking to open iron sights (legally or by preference) the conical doesn't offer much advantage on deer.

Percussion takes less technique (like flint knapping, setting the flint in the jaws, priming, etc.), so if you are time limited in practice and developing skills that might be the way to go.

Muzzleloaders with deer hunting loads have a trajectory like a standard .22 LR, so you should spend time at the range on targets between 15 and 120 yards getting it figured out. Don't buy one and think you can go hunting "out-of-the-box". It's been done, but you don't hear about the 15 times to each of those successes that it didn't work out.

OK! I didn't realize realize I was going to renerate this many responses. Anyway, I'm an experienced hunter, 20+ years, but have never picked up a muzzleloader in my life.
I will be hunting in the hill country of Texas, lots of deer.

I wish I would have provided a little more information for all these inquiring minds.

Thanks for all the replies! I've learned a lot.

Now! I'm looking for a 50 cal. inline rifle, accurate, easy to clean, and affordable. I guess you coulde say " I want my cake and eat it too!" Some that I've looked at were the H&R Sidekick, Traditions Pro, Knight Revolution/ Vision and the T/C Omega.

I have a good friend who has offered to order my gun at wholesale. Now, I just have to tell him what gun to order.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Allan Baron
Bryan, Texas

Hi Allan,

Any of those rifles you mentioned will serve well for your purpose as will the suggestions offered here.

This forum's focus is for traditionally styled muzzleloading, for more information on the modern inline models you mentioned, please visit http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/

Black powder section.

I'll also send you a PM regarding the models you mentioned.

Regards,

Tahquamenon

Back