• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help Identifying this Blunderbuss and authenticity. Thanks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra1504

32 Cal
Reaction score
I believe this is an Ottoman Blunderbuss but could use some input. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_3991.jpg
    IMG_3991.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3990.jpg
    IMG_3990.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3989.jpg
    IMG_3989.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3987.jpg
    IMG_3987.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3986.jpg
    IMG_3986.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3984.jpg
    IMG_3984.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3982.jpg
    IMG_3982.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3981.jpg
    IMG_3981.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3980.jpg
    IMG_3980.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
Hold on that could be the real thing. You need to carefully take it apart and post some pictures. Sometimes the line between a tourist gun and a real actual gun used in the Middle East is blurred!

I think it’s the real deal. But it may not be as old as you think, flintlocks were used into the 1900’s in some parts of the Middle East. Nice gun!

It sparks and the barrel looks solid, probably real. These were very popular in the Ottoman Empire, usually in the Arabic regions (Middle East) Though there are a number of newer made guns not meant for firing made in North Africa, it has nothing to do with the Khyber Pass. The earliest example of an original I've seen was dated 1725
868e163495c50e93a435e431577c5ece.jpg

Here are some period photos showing originals
sp
246109-Screenshot-2023-08-18-235444.png
246087-Les-costumes-populaires-de-la-Turquie-en-1873---Partie-3---Planche-032-aa.jpg
246081-dag3.jpg

Hold on that could be the real thing. You need to carefully take it apart and post some pictures. Sometimes the line between a tourist gun and a real actual gun used in the Middle East is blurred!
When sorting an official Middle Eastern firearm from a tourist gift, caution is essential. To minimize the possibility of confusion or legal difficulties, a thorough inspection and images are necessary.

Hello ALL.

I don't like to be one that burst a bubble here. But, IMHO it is a tourist gun. One of the better ones built probably in the 1960's or earlier.
Back then, some were even made using a combination of old, original parts, and newly fabricated pieces. In the case of the OP's gun:
Notice all the brass hardware is not polished out. Just file cut. In fact, it appears the trigger itself is made of brass. The lock looks more crudely hand made. Note the grooves on the frizzen. While it will function, it won't function well. It wasn't really made to. While the lock first "appears" like other trade locks of the period, it's not. The barrel may be original (?) But my guess is not. Note the barrel and lock are also not polished out.

As mentioned above in Post #14, the genuine originals were very popular throughout much of the Region. The style never caught on in Europe, but was probably developed there ironically. Some collectors today use the term "knee pistols" as a simplified form of identification.

Rick

For reference, here is a genuine original:

DSC00253 (Medium).JPG

I'm going to concur with Rickystl. There are too many indications that it is a 'tourist' gun. The barrel in the one photo seems to have a crack in the bell. In the video, the frizzen does not open to clear the pan for spark. The 'workmanship' if you can call it that, is too substandard, even for the back mountain regions. Too many file markings, tool markings, etc, and the worst and final giveaway is the tabs that are bent to hold the pipes in.

Sorry.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

I'm going to concur with Rickystl. There are too many indications that it is a 'tourist' gun. The barrel in the one photo seems to have a crack in the bell. In the video, the frizzen does not open to clear the pan for spark. The 'workmanship' if you can call it that, is too substandard, even for the back mountain regions. Too many file markings, tool markings, etc, and the worst and final giveaway is the tabs that are bent to hold the pipes in.

Sorry.

The Doc is out now. :cool:

Fully agree. I'm not an expert in Ottoman shenanigans, but I know a thirty dollars bill when I see one... 😋

Modern gun made for the tourist trade.
Its in very good condition & may have been bought by someone on the grand tour in the 1800s but never used or exposed original . Which might explain it condition . .If it is new made its a good job as theirs nothing shonkey about it
I think it’s the real deal. But it may not be as old as you think, flintlocks were used into the 1900’s in some parts of the Middle East. Nice gun!
Sams onto it
just going on your photos . On this theme I can add a friend in Australia had a fine collection & he bought a flintlock rifle off Kieth Neal it duly reached Melbourne But the customs man said in a communication ".You cant fool us. this guns New ! its got no rust on it !." it was a mint Joe Manton ! So ide be cautious in saying its a modern tourist offering . They who undertook these grand tours where not short of a few pounds .Think of Byron .
Rudyard's
less condemning view on such guns .I never saw any such similar in Peshawar at the begining of the Kyber pass Its more likley the Levant origin middle east

Last edited:
Back