• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

need help with 58 minie bullet mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just bought a 58 cal Zoave that I will be using with Minie balls. I went searching and Lee Precision has several sizes specked for the 58. Does anyone know what the best size mold for the Zoave would be, or what your experience has been? They have three near as I can tell, two 575s and a 578 for the 58cal. Want to be able to hunt with it as well as do N-SSA competition

@Surrywoodman, I can't tell you. Your Zouave is the source for determining the size of the Minie' ball you need. Bore diameter of the lands varies quite a bit between manufacturers. The bore must be measured. That can be quite the trick with the three groove barrels of many of the reproductions. Using the inside tips of a vernier caliper measure the diameter from the lands to the bottom of the groove on all three flats. Since these are round barrels, measure from the land to the outside of the barrel for all three lands. Do the same for the grooves. Subtract the average of the three groove measurements from the average of the three land measurements. Now you have the groove depth. Subtract the groove depth from the average of the three land to groove measurements to get the land-to-land bore diameter. Buy a mold that is 0.001" to 0.002" smaller than the land-to-land diameter. You may want a larger diameter mold and an exact diameter sizer sleeve to form your Minie' balls.

If you have one of the Zouaves with a 0.580" bore none of the molds you found will work. Maybe @dave951 will chime in.

Hey Surry,
If you don't have a set of pin gauges...
The easiest way I've found to determine the needed minie diameter is to obtain some minies of various diameters. Check for fit by carefully inserting them into the muzzle while the barrel is laying flat on a table. The minie that will just barely go in is the diameter to try first for load development.
Another way is to obtain some that are larger than the bore diameter and to hold the barrel vertical, like between your legs while sitting in a chair. Then, with a good set of channel locks holding the nose of the minie, insert its tail into the rifling while rotating the barrel against the base of the minie. In effect you're using the lands of the rifling to machine down the outside diameter of the soft lead. After boogering up a few and getting the hang of it you can make a few more to check with calipers or mic's and figure out the diameter you want to start loading with. If the minies on hand are too small to start with you can stand them up and bang the noses with a hammer to make the skirts fatter.

Another method of course is put one wrap of thin paper around a slightly too small minie to make it big enough to shoot accurately. That's a trick I first read about here on the forum many years ago.

I forgot to mention, it is an Antonio Zoli, sold by Navy Arms originally, and that might not make any difference, I don't have it yet, it is in transit
A pal just won an older Zoli at raffle. Guys on local black powder range are coaching her on it; a woman with a Zouave! Does that make her a vivandierre? :)

As others noted, you cannot count on what is stamped on the barrel. It is meaningless other than to give you a ballpark idea of what it was supposed to be.

You can buy a set of Class ZZ minus pin gauges from Travers.com or amazon or whatever. They are about $5 each. I recommend getting them in .001" increments from .575 up to .580.

Or, if you already have sizing dies, just size bullets down .001" at a time until you find one that fits.

I generally love Lee products, and they are good, budget-friendly options for our hobby.

But I do not recommend Lee hollow cavity bullet moulds. The problem is their core pin and the molds are both made of aluminum, and they quickly gall.

I would recommend an RCBS mold, or one from Moose Molds.

You can get a few sizes of pin gauges from Amazon, you don't really need a whole set. To further muddy the waters, you can't count on a mold dropping the exact size ball that it is supposed to. The best way is to start with a bullet minutely larger and size them with a push through sizer so they are all the same.

I have four rifle muskets in .58, and ALL are unique bore diameters. The Armi Sport '61 is largest, the 1964 era Zoli Mississippi is the smallest.

Keeping molds and sizers all sorted to the right guns is a bit of a challenge.

Back