• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need help with a purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf01

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I am having a hell of a time deciding what firelock to buy. I want something that is good from about 1750 or earlier to the end of the Rev War. I have halfway decided on a first model Bess, but from whom? I know they can be bought cheaply, but I would like to have something that is of a little bit higher quality but preferably less than $1000.00 or at least in that neighborhood. I also like the earlier pattern French and Prussian muskets (actually I prefer them) but from where? HELP!!!!!! Keep in mind I want to shoot this live and hunt with it. It is not just for busting blanks! ::

Don't know if this helps much, but anyways-
I've grown,,,,,, resentfully (?) towards the Heritage's 1756.
I've heard a bit about the plug not being "on par", woodwork not to expectations, and all that.
However, for $550, in the white (sorta) I'm thinking I want to have a "basic" that was "sportsterized" by a farmboy, "doing with whatever he" had around 1765. Thinking this is perfect for someone that "did in" the Gatsby and "liberated" a crewmember's weapon either directly,, or from a participant at a local Pub right after.
Anyways, just getting a finished lock for the period is costly, so it sounds good to me.
I'm a Toolmaker by trade and have a lot of "plus'" that most may not have, thus redoing a plug is not a overwhealming concern. Neither is the wood work and other items (gonna "hack" the manure out of it anyways mentality).
Just someting about them 1756 ones that "feels" right to me, and if all I get is the "feel" I'm happy at this point. Not much I can't "fabricate" if I get motivated.
With lathes, millers, and brigeports at my beck and call definately has an "influence". :thumbsup:
PS; The thing about a first model is that most came with a wood rod, remakes mostly come with steel, barrels are "overly long" in my mind for hunting, and none seem to be "period correct". However, with some ingenuity, most all could be a "S.O.L." liberated arm (or whatever). A first model could be a "hand-me-down" from the French and Indian War even. But a 1756 is good from 1760 (ish) to the Mexican War at the Alimo. Being able to include the War of 1812 is a BIG plus to me (I live 2 hrs. from Boston). The "sinking of the Gatsby" is really big time in my back yard, and celebrated heavily each year here (tourist time you know?).

A few of my Rev War friends are looking at getting some French Muskets.

While I am not afraid of building my own, I do not want to pay a fortune for parts and then wait a year or more for them to arrive.

These are the three sources that I am considering:

http://www.loyalistarms.freeservers.com/firstmodelbess-frenchinfantry1728.html

http://www.militaryheritage.com/muskets.htm

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWmuskets.shtml

If you come up with others, please let me know.

YMHS,
CrackStock

I believe that military heritage's muskets are shipped without the touchhole being drilled; so that's going to be an additional expense. Middlesex Village includes the bayonet and some other accessories with the gun if you purchase from them.

I can't get anywhere on there site but the home page. From what's there it looks like they are selling fully functional guns. They refer to "firearms" and not replicas.

A few of my Rev War friends are looking at getting some French Muskets.
http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/NEWmuskets.shtml
I was looking at the French 1717 model also. I asked several forums and read a little bit on them and it seems that back in their day they were not shipped to this continent. Although one guy did say that he thought he read somewhere that parts of one was found here. Most people and sources say they were not to be found here.
The 1690 French Marine musket and 1728 were common in the French areas of NA and would have found use by Colonials during the Rev War...from what I see. I am now leaning toward the Loyalist Arms 1690 French Marine musket. I like the wooden ramrod and the stock shape. But the Heritage 1728 looks nice also.
Personally, I like steel furniture and .69 caliber more than the Bess. I'm already shooting a Navy Arms Charlville.
WJ

Does it need to be a military musket? There are PA (germanic)rifles, New England fowlers, and even some southern rifle guns that could span that time period. Several people offer fowlers that would be correct for civilian/militia impressions....

Well, I am seriously considering a Tulle as well. I really like the earlier Southern and Virginia style rifles as well, but I am leaning toward a smoothbore. Where I hunt, you can't shoot much beyond 35 to 50 yards anyway. Thanks for all of the imput guys. I have e-mailed loyalist arms about their muskets in regard to the vent. I will let you all know what I end up with. I would appreciate any further tips or comments. ::

Let me know about the vent.
I'm looking to get a bess.
Gotta love a smootbore just to beable to shot shot.

You may want to take a look at "Battle Weapons of the American Revolution" as a source for ideas. The French Fusil De Chasse (Tulle) would be a good choice for the time period. Firearms were scarce during the early period of the revolution and the people had to make due with what they had.

I ordered a Bess from Military Heritage last Wednesday, it turns out they are out of the 1756 until March sometime. I then changed my order to a 1742, this past Wednesday, since they were also out of the Shortland. Loah and behold they called me today(Thursday) and informed me that they found a Shortland in an unmarked box and it shipped today! I will have it Tuesday or Wednesday and will post a review, if that's okay with the moderators?

The vent hole is undrilled but how hard is it to drill a hole?

Edited to add- It came to 628.85 and I don't think he charged me shipping due to the confusion about what was in stock. Talk about a stand up guy. He also called me back in five minutes with a tracking number after I finally switched to the shortland. If the product matches the service I will be happy indeed.

On their sight the short land 2nd modell list for $559 U.S. and $689 Can. I don't think he forgot the shipping, i think he charged you about $68 shipping, umless they have had a price increase that doesn't appear on their sight.

I ordered the bayonet and scabbard as well. Sorry I forgot to mention that. :redface:

Ok, that makes sense then. Let us know how it shoots. I am thinking about selling my Track Of The Wolf N.W. Tradegun and buying a bess. I think i would go with one of their new Bess Musketoons with a 36" barrel.

I'm intrested in a Bess too and looked on their site and yes they are ready to fire (according to the info on site) :m2c:

Latest posts

Back