• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need info on W.M. Large rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekiar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for any information On a rifle built by W.M. Large. The rifle is a percussion .45 caliber, left hand,45-inch x 1 1/8 hex barrel, 16+lbs,with redfield globe and peep sights. The name on the barrel is "OLD LUCIFER" built by W.M Large for R.L Erickson. I purchased the rifle a number of years ago on gunbrokers. I'm guessing that it was built for benchrest shooting. Will put photos on later. Thanks, charles

RickD said:
You have my interest

Mine as well! I knew W.H.Large was a premier barrel maker during the 1960's and 70's. That he built a rifle or more is no suprise but certainly not well known. I would like to see those pics :hmm:

read "our rifles" vol 1 and 3, 2 is ok for the spec and tec stuff, 1-3 gives you the story of the rifles by the shooters, can not put them down, and yes that is a bench rifle that your talking about. :thumbsup:

Sekiar,
I was aware that Bill built a number of rifles including some chunk guns, but was not aware that he built any "bench rest" rifles. There is a big difference in the two types, are we sure we are not getting them mixed up?
Mark

Here's two photos of OLD LUCIFER
airgunbmw524.jpg

airgunbmw523.jpg

That is one devil of a Rifle- Bill Large did great work- I love the Patchbox just a beauty, that is what I call a Treasure hang on to it- the great Pinyone

Sekiar,
Old Lucifer certainly isn't an offhand rifle. It's a beautiful rifle, much nicer than most other of Bill's rifles I have seen. It's to heavy for a light bench gun and doesn't have the charactistics of a heavy bench gun, but it sure could have been one heck of a chunk gun. That one's a keeper.
Mark :thumbsup:

I saw a bench gun with Bill Large barrel a couple of months ago. I don't know if he made the gun, but it had one of his barrels, and I would guess 3" ATF or bigger.

Today was just perfect for shooting and I've put about 15 rb down range with the OL and with 50gns 0f 2F it stacked them all but the first couple of shots. (shots taken from my shoot shack to the 30yd target) I also noticed when loading that the leters LJ was marked on the end of the barrel four times. Wonder what that might stand for? :wink:

form what i have found witch is little, on the in side of the lock look for W.G. sutter with a # (I.E. 72) for exp}, j was his brl stamp, as to say "i made this" L could be 50? using the roman num, it is a bench gun, most of them in 36 and 45 cal he also made 58 54 50 and 32, some are at action for $$$$$, there is more about him than his rifles. Hope this helps. :thumbsup: bk

Sekiar,
Bill marked his barrels in many ways, some not mentionable in public, depending what thought came to him at the moment of stamping. It has been told to me that he stamped a capital "L" on the muzzle of barrels he recut, or otherwise worked on. The 4 J's were for his daughters and are usually found stamped under his name near the breach. I have one with just the capital"L" at the muzzle.
Mark

I have a W.M. LARGE (OLE EYE KNOKER )
My father-in-law past and the family basically put them in a closet stacked on each other. I was upset for one the history of the muzzle loaders. His father was a black smith in back in the day. Just looking at this rifle it’s very unique. I really don’t care much of the value of it. The history of it what I’m really interested in . Sometimes you can’t put a price on history I’m trying to learn more about it and what it’s like I’d like to know some information.

Back