• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Need replacement barrels for 12 gauge pietta SxS

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gowanus

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hopefully you guys can help me out...
I mailed a pietta SxS shotgun to myself through the US Postal service. It was in two separate packages, and the package with the barrels and ramrod was torn open in transit and they either fell out or were removed.
USPS made it clear that its almost impossible I'll get the barrels and ramrod back, which I'm still not thrilled about.
So now I'm stuck with the locks and stock, but no barrels. Is there anyplace I should be searching? I picked up the shotgun for a very good price, so I don't really want to drop more on the barrels than I did on the entire firearm and a bunch of loading accessories.
Which manufacturers have barrels that interchange? It seems like sometimes the Italian companies put their names on parts that were actually made in different factories.

The photo is of the gun before the unfortunate accident (?)

Attachments

• MuzzSG.jpg
    MuzzSG.jpg
    692.8 KB · Views: 6
Well I doubt you will find stuff that "drops-in". You might check on eBay from time to time, but normally what you find are people that have broken down a working gun into parts groups to dodge eBay posting regs.

Probably best to sell the lower off and use the money to defray the cost of a new gun.

LD

Just curious, why would the mail not return your barrels n ram rod? Or at least give you their value in dollars.

People ship muzzleloaders in the mail every day so do not understand why they would confiscate your property.

I don’t think they were confiscated or stolen.
The box looked like it had been kicked down the stairs then stomped on a few times. The tear along the side looked to be from mishandling, on one of the few spots not wrapped in packing tape.

They didn’t even know what the missing item was when the postal employee told me I had very little chance of lost property being recovered. the process to reclaim the value seemed like it would take months, require me going back in person to the post office, and showing receipts (which I don’t have), and the damaged box (which I don’t have) for I think a total of $100 coverage on standard priority mail, so I won’t be doing that.

I’ve been waiting to ask my mailman if he saw them laying in his truck or something (not likely) and if not, just sell what I still have.

I've had several smoothbore muzzleloaders shipped to me. I always had them shipped in one package. But I bought a pistol here one time; the seller dropped it in a box with Zero packing. The barrel was sticking out the package when arrived. My postman thought it was a rusty pipe.
I shipped a large package of big bore brass once, bought extra insurance, and it never arrived. I bought it at an estate sale, no receipt, and USPS refused to do anything without a receipt showing the value. I called the inspectors office, they said 99% sure someone stole it.
I ate $1200.00.
I'd post on the classifieds wanting a barrel set, if you haven't.

Thanks, I’ll probably wind up selling the lower and the small pile of wads, shot cups, etc… if something doesn’t pop up.
What sucks is I just saw that I missed a set of pietta barrels in the classifieds 10 days ago.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/navy-arms-pietta-sxs-12-barrel.183780/#post-2680302

Oh well, when you ship something with USPS, make sure it’s triple secure.
That was me. I got them on ebay hoping they would fit my CVA but it would have taken too much modification. I was going to cut them down for a coach gun.

I bought a package of lead and the package arrived empty. I told the person I bought it from (ebay) and he sent me some more. Then out of curiosity backed tracked the package starting with the last place it was processed. Called them and they had the lead ingots. I described it to the person on the phone. In less than 5 minutes he took my info and mailed them out to me.
Another incident, I bought a revolver and it was a few days late than the delivery date. It was last processed about 25 miles from me. I talked to my local post office and they said they would check into it. Next day I got a slip in my mailbox stating for me to call. I called and made an appointment to get my package. When I got there to pick it up all they asked was for my ID. Well the revolver had fallen completely out of the box. The lady handed me the revolver and the box and said thank you, I dropped the gun in the box after a quick check, replied thank you and left.
It was an old abused and neglected revolver I had bought for parts.

Back