• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wanted - parts Need someone to reassemble a percussion lock for me.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
components for muzzleloaders

JBeardNC

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hi, I have an old percussion lock that I'd like to take apart and polish up. My only concern is that I won't be able to get it back together without a mainspring vise. Does anyone here have the ability to reassemble it? I'm willing to pay, not looking for someone to do it for free. Thanks and hope to find someone willing to help, Justin

You're welcome. If you're going to be working with locks a spring vise is a good investment. Soaking the lock in penetrating oil makes rusty screws come out easier too. While I'm giving advise, make sure you have screw drivers that fit the screw slots. If your lock is like the old one I'm working on the screws are already buggered up without us adding to it.

Where are you in NC? I may be able to help and show you how to do it. What is lock from? Rifle, pistol? Brand?
It's just a cheap Jukar percussion lock from one of those early CVA Kentucky rifle kits. It's nothing special, but I've been tinkering with the stock and have all of the inletting pretty nice, so I wanted to clean up the lock and barrel. I live in Asheville.

FYI, you can buy a basic mainspring vice from Track of the Wolf for $23. I imagine it’s more economical to buy one then pay someone to reassemble and pay postage both ways to send your parts. As @The Crisco Kid mentioned, you’ll find it handy in the future.
Will probably just go this route. Thank you sir.

It's just a cheap Jukar percussion lock from one of those early CVA Kentucky rifle kits. It's nothing special, but I've been tinkering with the stock and have all of the inletting pretty nice, so I wanted to clean up the lock and barrel. I live in Asheville.
Good luck with it. I’m at the other end of state, or at least middle.

I bought a spring vise from Track, it’s a fantastic tool. But it doesn’t work on my cva/jukar locks. The springs aren’t that strong. I use channel lock pliers for them.

Hi, I have an old percussion lock that I'd like to take apart and polish up. My only concern is that I won't be able to get it back together without a mainspring vise. Does anyone here have the ability to reassemble it? I'm willing to pay, not looking for someone to do it for free. Thanks and hope to find someone willing to help, Justin
Take pictures as you disassemble each piece. Place the parts in a line left to right or right to left.
After you do what you want clean polish etc. follow the pictures in reverse and apply the grease/ lubricant of your choice as you go.
I’d recommend buying a mainspring vise available at several places TOW etc.

YouTube is your friend

Second on the vice-grips of the correct size. I would also suggest that you place everything inside of a plastic grocery bag. That way is anything flies away it won't go far. Easier to find in the bag than on the floor.

Back