• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Negative experience

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greycat

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been a while since I've posted, but I thought I'd share this with you. Years ago, 10-12 if I recall correctly, I purchased a Traditions Pennsylvannia Longrifle, Flintlock, .50 caliber. This was my first, and actually still my only, flintlock rifle. I'd picked it up in hopes of getting into re-ennacting, and maybe a little hunting. I shot it some, but not terribly much in that first year. I had a problem getting consistent sparks, and often ended up with broken flints.

It was just about the straightest shooting rifle I have ever owned, knocking the center out of the bullseye on a .22 target at 75 paces....when it would fire. Needless to say, frustration led me to stick it in a corner, and forget about it for almost 10 years.

Move up to this past winter, when I discovered this website, and remembered how much fun I had with the Flinter, when it worked, and I decided to get her out of the corner and back out to the range. The sparking and flint problem turned out to be too much to get around, so I turned to the wealth of knowledge here to see what I could learn. Turns out, it was a problem with the lock itself, the cock arm was/is misaligned, so that half of the flint comes down on the side of the barrel, thus explaining the broken flints, and less than stellar sparkage.

After taking various suggestions, I decided that what I would do is call Traditions, and see if they would still support their product, after 10-12 years. I was absolutely amazed that they were not only willing to take a look at the defective lock, but actually seemed eager to support their product, even after such a length of time.

So I promptly boxed it up, and mailed it out to them on the very same day that I spoke with them. I was terribly pleased with myself, all happy that it had been so easy to get service, and that they seemed so eager to make things right at Traditions. I had grand visions of myself down at the range, making smoke, getting her sighted in, and maybe even taking her out for the Muzzleloader hunting season, and seeing if she'd take a deer for me.

That was back in the middle of June. I knew that things would be backed up with the July 4th holiday, so I didn't even start looking for it in the mail until a week after that. When nothing came, I called Traditions back to inquire about it, and was told that the lock was not fixable, and was being replaced. The replacement lock was on order, and should be shipped from the manufacturer, in Italy, in the next shipment.

Now we're up to the middle of July, with Traditions expecting their next shipment by July 20th, so I'm expecting my lock back in the first week of August at the latest. The first week of August comes and goes, with no lock in the mail, so I call Traditions back again, and they tell me that almost the entire continent of Europe takes the month of August off for vacation, and their next shipment from italy will come on September 15th.

Since I'm writing this now, I'm assuming you can guess, that I don't have my lock yet, and I called them again today. I was informed that while they did in fact palce the order for my lock from the manufacturer, they have no control over what parts they order, that the manufacturer will actually decide to ship. They're expecting a shipment from italy on October 19th, but they can't guarantee me that my lock will be in that shipment.

So basically, while Traditions was eager to give me good customer service, here I am, jsut over 3 months later, with no lock for my flinter, and no guarantee on when I'll be able to get it. The gentleman I spoke with said that at the earliest, I might have my lock by the first week of November, however, since he can't verify the manifest of the shipment coming from overseas, there's no guarantee I'll even see it this year.

Just a word of caution, a barely working flinter, is a hundred times better than one with no lock at all :(

Greycat

aside from not being a big traditions fan myself, based on a bad factory response...but still that seems REALLY bad for a company like that..you have more patience than I, I'd be calling daily, and one would presume(I know, bad thing to do,but)I would expect they had a penn flintlock in this country,even if it had to come off a brand new gun..my advice,be a pain in the butt...a big pain..it's that squeaky wheel gets the grease thing....gee, you could even forward this post to them...don't figure they'd call that good advertising??? just my opinion....but boy I'd be pi--X hot! good luck! RC

greycat, you have my sympathy. dealing with an overseas company can be a royal pain. i paid close to 20.00 for a .02 spring from EAA. minimum order and all.... man, i hope you get to make smoke soon.

Question, is there an American made replacement lock that you could get for your gun? If so see if Traditions would simply send you a refund for your old lock and buy a new one, it may be quicker then waiting for the boat to get in from Italy,LOL. :hmm:

I had the traditons battle myself, took almost a year to get my crockett back from them. I called and called, was told it was repaired. Turns out the repair was to replace it with another defective crockett. I had to fix it myself after fighting them for replacement parts.
Did you know that there is a replacement flintlock for your rifle made by L&R. Might be worth looking into if you want to hunt with it this year. Good Luck....

TN.Frank said:
Question, is there an American made replacement lock that you could get for your gun? :hmm:

There is.I think an L&R Might make a replacement that will fit.I got one that fit my Lyman Deerstalker and I couldn't be happier with it.If my memory serves me correctly their web site will tell you which locks they make Replacements for.

Sort of same story here. I actually have two Traditions Pennsylvania Longrifles. Bought them off blankets for around $200 each. I agree with ya' that they are straight shooters for sure, but have one of the worst (flint)locks I ever encountered. Even though it might be considered taboo by some, with just a bit of work and spare parts I changed them over to caplocks. I have a mix of flintlock and caplock rifles. These 2 are now two good knock around guns for me. But I'd never buy a "new" one from Traditions because of the service, or lack of that I experienced in dealing with them. I know several folks who had the same problems and only a few that didn't with traditions flintlock rifles. That was my experience with them...

Man, look at all the great response to your situation. This is the greatest forum ever, and it is all because of caring folks like you. Now if your lock situation could get the manufacturer's attention that you recieved here, it may get better reviews and MORE BUSINESS. Word of mouth has a lot of buying influence. They should know that by now. :hmm:

most factorys are very slow.. they order in years advance. that way thier suppliers are able to do long. runs.. if they cant do long runs they cant be in buisiness.. somehave custom departments some dont.. ijust hope after your wait you get the right lock.. you should have sent in the gun so they can fit it.. dave...

Everything you have been told by the dealer is probably true and certainly happens regularly here in Europe. Have to say in defence of the Italian manufacturer, they are no worse and at times a lot better than TRS to deal with.

I suspect the replacement lock from Traditions will not be much better than your original one. You'll get much better performance with a RPL from L&R.

I have actually never had a problem with Tradition's customer service at all. I always found it prompt and they gave me MORE than I needed on several occassions. I sent in my old lock to be fixed after I broke the frizzen spring, and they just sent me a new lock and explained that the old one was not reliable (and it wasn't... I had the same problems you described.) I got my lock in a couple weeks, took it to the range, and since I moved to real bp, and actually learned how to correctly position the flint against the frizzen, I have NEVER had a problem with my penn. not sparking.

The good side is that the new lock you will recieve is a MUCH better and more reliable lock. It's not as "tight" as your old one might have been, and when tuned properly will spark for you every time. After you've had your grand visions of yourself at the range with this flinter, eventually, you'll be having even GRANDER visions of yourself in the woods, with period style garm, taking an elk with nothing more than whatever our forefathers would have used. :thumbsup:

Well, I decided to send an E-mail to Traditions today, attempting to bypass the Customer Service department, and see if I can get escalated up to someone who can do more than to give me evasive responses to my questions. I'll let you guys know how things turn out.

If I dont' get some kind of resolution soon, I may just give up,a nd try to scrape the money together to buy a replacement lock....

Greycat

Have you tried calling Traditions and asking to speak to a supervisor or head of the Customer service dept.? If not, you might give that a try.

Hey, Just shoot them an e-mail that you're telling everone about your problems on the forum and see what happens!!!!

I'm sorry you are having trouble with Traditions, but I have to say my experience with Traditions Customer Service was not at all what you're going through. I have been very well treated and I'm a "happy customer".

I recently received a Traditions Pennsylvania flintlock that my brother had, after he passed away. This rifle had a cross threaded jaw screw with striped threads also in the lower jaw of the hammer. I called Traditions and explained that I was not the original owner, however they fixed the lock under warranty, without charging me. Now with sharp black English flints this rifle works great.

FYI: I have waited for a part from Baretta for over 6 months...

While your in an emailing mood.....Why not email Traditions this thread.They might find it interesting.That's why most of my Muzzleloaders are T/C's.You just can't beat their customer service. :v

Halftail said:
While your in an emailing mood.....Why not email Traditions this thread.They might find it interesting.That's why most of my Muzzleloaders are T/C's.You just can't beat their customer service. :v

To be honest, I've considered it. However, I don't want to come across as someone who's threatening, or attempting to intimidate them into giving me service. I do want to get my lock at some point :) I have been trying to think of ways to let them know about things without coming across as hostile, but of course, the longer this process goes on, the harder that becomes :p

greycat

greycat, I understand not wanting to be threatening, but after reading some of the posts, like mike/mi and arrowstorms who received good service,I'd have to wonder what's going on with your lock, just doesn't seem right! guess my thought is you don't have your lock now, you have no idea when it will or even if it will come. a good definitive answer is what I'd be looking for,so I knew it was coming...soon! or if I was going to have to buy a replacement lock. I'd send these posts myself to Traditions,but it wouldn't do any good for you, unless you sent the lock in under the name greycat....sorry,but I figure you have nothing to loose and a lock to gain..just my opinion,, good luck! RC

Back