• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New 54 plains pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually, if I get several patches stuck together, folding them over so they form a U and placing my thumb and forefinger on them and moving it back and forth causes the patches to separate making it easy to get just one.

I can't imagine taking the time to get some sort of tool to separate some stuck patches. :confused:

60 gr did indeed rattle my cage. No harm though, to me or the pistol.
For now I am staying at 40gr or less. I plan to continue experimenting with heavier loads with a ceiling of 45gr fffg. (For my hands sake)
Next time at the range I will try your load first.

Rodwha, the thin patches are compressed measurements as described in Dutch Schoultz's writings. Using a micrometer rather than calipers and squeezing the patch materiel fairly tightly.

Carry mine as backup to Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken. Load it with 50 grs T3Fg covered by .54/.56 wonder wad, .010 lubed patch pushing a .535 ball. Hits 12 inch plate everytime at 49 paces. Why the 50 grs? HOGS!

Got big hands so its not all that bad. Reassuring to know its capable of a whole lot of shock power under 10 steps........after that, its the 10 pound Pedersoli Rocky Mountain Hawken CLUB!

Back