• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New but hooked already

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgilmore

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello, I was sure glad to find this forum. Im new to muzzleloading and already hooked. I just got a new traditions deer hunter .50 and have only shot it five times, but it was almost an instant love affair. muzzleloading is a passion Im sure will only get stronger and deeper into my pockets with time. I cant wait! Anyway have any of you folks ever had a Traditions deerhunter. It seems to shoot well, I was shooting two inch groups at 50 yards with open sights, patched round balls .490, 80gr. pyrodex RS.

Welcome..Sounds like you found a nice rifle and even found a load it likes..I just got into the BP thing a couple months ago so I am no expert by any means but I do know it is habbit forming..Good luck

Welcome to the forum and to muzzleloading. :)

Your Traditions gun is a good rifle to start with and I'm sure it will give you a lot of enjoyment.

Just remember, real black powder and ALL of the synthetic black powders like Pyrodex, 777, Golden whatever it is (It slips my mind at the moment) and all the rest leave corrosive salts in the bore so the gun needs to be thoroughly cleaned on the day that you shoot it.
No putting it off for "a day or two".

ALL of these powder residues will clean up very nicely with plain water and a little soap.

I mention this because water is about the last thing a modern shooter would want to use on his smokeless powder guns.
If you thoroughly dry your barrel and apply some rust protective solvent your barrel will last for years.

Have fun. :thumbsup:

I have the Traditions hawken and when I first got it that was the powder and load I used with good results. I eventually moved to Goex ffg and settled in at 70 grains and with a couple years of practice can hit what I aim at. I have been very pleased with my Traditions rifle and am sure you will be too. I suggest buying a replacement nipple now because their factory nipples have an issue with cracking.

Good point. I built a Traditions Hawkens for my son in law for his first muzzle loader. Our first time out his nipple cracked in half within the first five shots. After replacing it with an aftermarket nipple, it's been a great shooter.

That was my first muzzleloading rifle several years ago. It was fun to shoot, but I was not really bitten by the BP bug until I got into flinters five or six years ago. I still shoot the cap guns from time to time, but if you ever get into rock guns, there is no going back :wink:

In the meantime, have fun. A 2 inch group at 50 is not bad, but I bet you can improve it. Experiment with different patches, lubes, and loads.

Back