• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New flintlock rifle build

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duelist1954

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to watching your next build. I learned a ton on the last series you did. In fact, I probably avoided many, many mistakes by watching your videos. On behalf of the newbies, thank you sir!

Generally I am of the opinion that a fellow should hold on to a project for a while to give him a benchmark of how far he has progressed. I recently reworked a gun that I had built and, it was a serious decision cause I am also of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it school". The gun was a shooter and I was afraid to ruin a good shooter no matter how ugly but, the rework helped it greatly.You have had the old gun for a while and it is a tack driver so I hate to see it cast by the wayside. Personally I believe you could strip it down and rework it. Will it cure all of its problems. No, but the experience will be very instructive for you (as it was for me) and bring new life to a good gun. I am self taught and make many mistakes and, I am with you no mater what you decide. Just something to think about

Luna

Good luck on your Lehigh which is the most difficult LR style to build and which looks lousy if not done correctly. There are so many "Lehigh
idiosyncracies" to be aware of and they all require a lot of research....otherwise future difficulties loom. Don't know your reasons for making gun building videos, but if it's "education", both yours and the viewers, here's wishing you success w/ a very difficult undertaking.....Fred

great! looking forward to the video ... the last one was a wealth of tips&tricks, but you might want to splurge in a helper to hold the camera.

So glad to hear your going to video and build another. I had withdrawals after the first one finished.

duelist1954 said:
MSW, my budget barely includes me....and I work for free..

perhaps the local high school VoTech program? Who knows, you might turn a kid to the dark side...

:wink:

either way, looking forward to seeing the new vid! :thumbsup:

Why does the ugliest guns always shoot the best? I have a Douglas barrel 36 cal. that drives me nuts, because it is so ugly, but it shoots "lights out". so it's hard not to want to improve the way it looks. I'm going to continue, the work on mine, and looking forward, to following your progress.

Thanks, for letting us follow along, and best of luck.

I have 2 flinters with Douglas barrels that neither of which I can shoot very well. I'm wondering if it's the barrels, or the fact that the sights aren't very fine.

Douglas made great barrels, and I'm lucky to have one of them. Mine shoots great.

Sorry, Mike, we got off subject.

Your ambition to tackle this project has inspired me to rework my rifle. Looking forward to updates.

Back