• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadHorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
just wrapped up a flint GPR. well actually im waitng on the L&R lock and Davis triggers to get here for it, but you get the idea! i just wish i could keep this rifle, its been raffled off! darnit!

rafflerifle002-1.jpg

rafflerifle003-1.jpg

the top one is my ole faithfull!
rafflerifle007-1.jpg

I'm getting started on one now and really like your metal finish. Getting tired of the same old brown. :( What was your finish procedure on the metal?

marmotslayer said:
I'm getting started on one now and really like your metal finish. Getting tired of the same old brown. :( What was your finish procedure on the metal?
contact me in a pm, and we can exchange phone # way easier to explain on the phone

im trying to get a pic that shows the wonderful french grey finish that i put on all the metal. i'll tell you what this is the toughest finish ive ever had on a gun!! no finger prints no nothing! easy to maintain!
rafflerifle004-1.jpg

I really like this finish..Did it a few times allready with vinegar.How long do you have to leave on?Do you wrap the barrel in,or do you just put the bleach on without any wraps..?

greetz Jan

Thanks for the tips on this finish. I'm going to do an experiment on a gun. Was going to do an old barrel but now am going to do a Traditions Deer Hunter instead. I'll post the results when done.

Moguai said:
I really like this finish..Did it a few times allready with vinegar.How long do you have to leave on?Do you wrap the barrel in,or do you just put the bleach on without any wraps..?

greetz Jan

ive used vinager in the past, and it works great. and yes when i use vinager i do wrap it in rags, and it took 2 days! this was done with phosphoric acid and took about 2 hours!

karwelis said:
Moguai said:

greetz Jan

ive used vinager in the past, and it works great. and yes when i use vinager i do wrap it in rags, and it took 2 days! this was done with phosphoric acid and took about 2 hours!

That`s why I became curious.. :wink: Just took quite some time to get a nice finish with vinegar..Do you still wrap it in rags when you used the acid?Or did you just brush it on..?

Moguai said:
That`s why I became curious.. :wink: Just took quite some time to get a nice finish with vinegar..Do you still wrap it in rags when you used the acid?Or did you just brush it on..?

another form of the phosphoric acid is naval jelly. you have to protect all holes (especially threaded ones) with vasoline. but you just slather it on, hang it up, mist once and a while with water. and voila!

Thanks a lot! I´ll give it a try tomorrow..I´m just restoring a GPR Kit that was very badly put together and which I got from the bay for a 100euros.. :wink: I really hope that this kind of finish will give the badly browned barrel a new and much better look..

Moguai said:
Thanks a lot! I´ll give it a try tomorrow..I´m just restoring a GPR Kit that was very badly put together and which I got from the bay for a 100euros.. :wink: I really hope that this kind of finish will give the badly browned barrel a new and much better look..
you can remove the bad rust brown with either the naval jelly or i use white vinegar and some 150 grit wet and dry sand paper. then go about doing the "french grey"

very nice job bubba! again!! really like the grey look and as i said before in another spot, im gonna do this.

just a quick question tho, the threaded holes and the niple threads as well as the bore,,,i put vasoline in them and this will protect them from harm,,,correct??

im including a couple pict of my progress so far.

gprsized.jpg

gprsized2.jpg

gprsized3.jpg

also can i do the screw heads without messing the threaded portion of the screws up?

didnt mean to barge in on your post kerwalis.

just getting ready to try the viniger finish and hadnt really decided on whether to use rope or not. the stock i got with this kit was kinda dull and not very interesting so i used cotton string about every 1/2 inch and used a eye dropper with dark die and repeated as soon as the wood absorbed the die. did this till i couldnt see the wood absorb any more die. then i used 320 grit and gently smoothed the wood so as to not scrub away the lines completly. then i started to rub clear sealer into the wood till it started to get sticky and let dry. repeating with 5 or 6 coats waiting for it to completly dry between till i found no more mini holes or open grain. then with one more lite scrub with 320 i started with gun oil on the stock. rubbing and rubbing till it felt smooth as glass but didnt have that shiney gloss finish. its easy to repair as i will crash thru the woods and brush with it.

anyhow i just wanted to say that i admire your finish of the steel. i want to use it for this rifle and just wanted to make sure that the vasoline would completly seal the bore and threads so as to protect them from harm.

thanks for sharing another prize!

Latest posts

Back