• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New project for Pitchy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Musketeer

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Breechloading medieval cannon with swivel "shield" at the front. Should only take Pitchy 2 or 3 days to whip one of these up. :hmm: :blah:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXXVeh96m_M[/youtube]

this thing is so cool, there has been some swivel guns built out there on the same principal, but this scale would be definatly cool. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Is that one of those exchangable mug shaped breach guns, been pondering those if so. :hmm: :grin:

One thing about that cannon once on target you should be able to pound a hole in a wall in short order. There was no movement at all from recoil.

Very respectable rate of fire, excellent crew. I would like to see what would happen if the shield didnt get raised in time. It probably was meant to throw stone shot with a pretty small charge.

PitchyPine said:
Is that one of those exchangable mug shaped breach guns, been pondering those if so. :hmm: :grin:
Yep. Watch the crewman in the light shirt who's loading. He has a whole row of them down on the left side of the cannon. :thumbsup:

I agree with the apparent effectiveness of these guns. Sorta makes one wonder why they went back to muzzleloading cannon for so many centuries after that (I'm guessing those guys were re-enacting maybe the late 15th century in that vid). :hmm:

Almost started building a small scale one of those the other day, maybe a 50 cal.
Wonder if there would be legal problems seeing it`s a breech loader.
There seems to be some disagreement to whether the ball was in the mug or was loaded down the barrel?

Lenn, you can legally build breechloader firearms as long as you arent doing it as a business.Thats when you need a license. Build away :thumbsup:

Thanks Frank, now if someone knows if the ball was in the mug or not. For speed of fire i`d think the whole load would be in the breech.

That answers that, now all i need is some pictures of one or two of these gadgets. Can`t seem to be able to find much. :hmm:

Great link Bubba. :hatsoff:

Pitchy, I haven't found any decent detailed pics either. Maybe you should check with the cannon guys on their subforum. :hmm:

Now this one is crude but a simple design.
41696_c.jpg

Steel is too pricey for the project i had in mind, 30 bucks a foot for 1 3/4 ID. tubing. May make something on a smaller scale. :)

If you went with a 1" bore that size tubing ought to only be half that cost. Something like 1.5" OD x 1" ID x .25 wall. :hmm:

It appears the barrel on the one pictured above isn`t all that heavy. If one made the mugs out of solid shaft and bored the chamber deep enough to load powder and ball in the mug would that work?

That sounds perfect. I didn't notice the wall thickness on that breech till you mentioned it, but it appears the mug would absorb a good deal of the pressure itself upon firing. :hmm:

Back