• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Question: What accessories do I need?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbadben

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help folks have given me in my quest to get started with a traditional gun. This has been a fun Sunday afternoon project. I'm 99% certain I'm going to order the Lyman GPR in 54 cal percussion.

Now here's the next question: What else do I need? Powder I'll get locally. Probably balls and caps too. (I have a 2-year-old, so I don't really want to cast my own balls. Don't want little pieces of lead all over the place.)

Here's what I know I need:

-Possibles bag
-Extra nipples
-nipple wrench
-powder flask
-powder measure
-patches
-patch lube
-bullet puller
-cleaning brush and jags

Is there anything I've missed? I want this to be a traditional kind of experience, so something like the clear plastic powerder measures would bug me. I guess an old brass one would be more authentic?

Thanks,

Ben

Welcome bigbadben,

Tell ya what, pm me your address and send ya some tradional bear grease to try for patch lube if you'd like. :thumbsup:

Although not a traditionalist by any means, I shoot a flinter and this is everything I have in my possibles bag:

balls/bullets
pre-measured powder charges (tiny plastic bags)
patch material strips
short starter
5" scissors
cleaning patch material strips
cleaning/ramming jag
ball puller
patch puller
bronze brush
priming powder dispenser
powder measure
oak mallet
spare flints and leathers
stubby blade screwdriver
vent pick (actually it's a torch tip cleaner)
ballpoint pen
tiny flashlight for examining bore

This is pretty much my entire shooting/maintenance kit. I also keep a jar of homemade bullet/patch lube, a bottle of Murphy's Oil Soap, and a can of Fluid Film at home.

nipple pick to clean out the nipples.

Buy your stuff cheap as you're in the learning phase. If you get seriously into the hobby, you'll end up making your own powder horn, possible bag, knife, powder measure, nipple pick, shot pouch and clothing.

Didnt see a CAPPER listed,15 cap inline will work, 75 and 100 cap are great.

a PATCH WORM to retrieve lost patches

a RANGE ROD for non hunting shootingdays(saves the one on the gun)

a HANDLE to go on your rods (forwhen you bind them in the bore)

Brett

I use Traditions swaged lead balls (.50) for around $10 per 100 (I buy them at Bass Pro Shops). I have an adjustable brass powder measure (never load from the horn directly) but I'm looking for a deer antler measure of 60g for my target loads.

When I used to shoot a caplock, I found pipe cleaners very useful for thoroughly cleaning the drum/snail area into the bore, saturated with alcohol/ballistol/wd40 or whatever your choice is.A screwdriver ground to your cleanout screw is helpful slso. Good smoke, ron in FL

Back