• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Renegade 58 cal-T/C Custom

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim Bob said:
Roundball,
I am going to try the oxyoke wads as you suggested before. I will have to mail order them as I have not seen them around any of the dealers in this area.

Is there any certain type or just oxyoke wads for whatever caliber? What about in my Lyman GPR 54 cal. in 1:60 barrel? Should I also use a wad with a slow twist barrel too?
Thanks,
Jim

Sure...actually the benefit of a wad is not really twist oriented...use them in any bore/any twist, smoothbores, etc...they serve as a firwall between powder and[url] projectile...in[/url] the case of a patched ball, protecting the patch from fire failure, blowby, and sealing more gases behind it promotes improved velocity, consistency, accuracy, etc.

Plus the Oxyoke wads are injected with Natural Lube 1000 which gets squeezed out under heat and pressure, adding more lube into the bore...really not needed for mild target loads, I just use them for any/all hunting loads, both PRB's and conicals

Last edited by a moderator:
Hamourkiller said:
My solution was to order the TC Custom .58 and a GM .58 Barrel. I will develope a Maxi hunter load with the TC barrel and a round ball load with the GM barrel. If I ever go hunting critters that need more lead than the PRB can provide the TC barrel will be ready.

You'll be able to take anything in the western hemisphere with that package!!

I built mine up. Renegade Lower off Ebay and a GM 32" 1 in 70" twist barrel from TOTW.

My two cents, I also am not a fan of QLA when using a PRB. roundball has covered the reasons why. I do like it if I am using a Maxi-Ball, lead conical. or sabot. However I shoot mostly PRB's in my percussion sidelocks, and flinters. On page 73 in the current Fox Ridge Outfitter's catalog, #34, there is a footnote saying that barrels without QLA are available, from the T/C Custom Shop.

Landngroove said:
My two cents, I also am not a fan of QLA when using a PRB. roundball has covered the reasons why. I do like it if I am using a Maxi-Ball, lead conical. or sabot. However I shoot mostly PRB's in my percussion sidelocks, and flinters. On page 73 in the current Fox Ridge Outfitter's catalog, #34, there is a footnote saying that barrels without QLA are available, from the T/C Custom Shop.

Good catch...I hadn't noticed that before.

I am doing the same thing....I have a renegade stock with everything except barrel and ramrod I bought off Ebay as well and I am going to 32" GM slow twist barrel and with the new T/C 58 1:48 will be used for PRB and conicals as well. I have no problem with the 1:48 twist as I have been shooting them since 1976 and I am very happy with the 12:48 rate of twist. I like it as it is the only twist that you can go either way with RB or bullets, the key is to load it correctly it works the way you want it. Figuring out the load, patch size, etc is the key.
Now, Roundball has me trying the oxyoke wads and I am excited about the results this may bring as well, have them on order...Jim in Idaho

ok guys. i've been thinking about this a lotand heres the rifle i'm strongly leaning towards. a lyman deerstalker in .54 . i like the rifle because of the straight stock and short length. it has a pretty good set of sights on it and all i want to do with it is harvest deer and feral hogs.the only thing that appeals to me about black powder shooting is knowing i'm using a weapon our forefathers used when they settled this great country and were putting meat on their families table and defending their lives. i know that i could never find the time to make buckskins and all that other stuff some of you guys are doing. so i'm asking if everyone who is willing would chime in on the choice i'm making. i also plan to cast my owm lee RERAL bullets. i wouls greatly appreciate hearing from ya'll. thanks

Roundball is right about the QLA, and most everything else he says about T/C's. I have a .58 Renegade that I ordered through a local dealer. So far I have only shot PRBs out of it. I will probably try conicals just to see if the QLA is all its supposed to be, but I don't ever foresee a need for anything other than thay 280 grain roundball for hunting.

To overcome the difficulties posed when loading PRBs through the QLA I have used oversize square patches that I cut from pillow ticking. These load far more easily than the precut round patches which are barely larger than the diameter of the ball. I have also used a half-dollar for a template to cut round patches and these work reasonably well too.

GO for it Id go same but the Trade rifle, REALs load easyin anything. Fred :thumbsup:

I think patch size might have something to do with whether the PRB will load correctly in a QLA barrel. I use pre-cut, pre-lubed Wonder patches in the .50-.59 size when shooting PRB in my QLA equipped .50 Greyhawk. Never had a problem loading and accuracy was to die for using light loads (never tried heavy PRB loads in that gun for some reason :confused: ).

Anywho, my point is that the .50-.59 patch is significantly larger than needed for the .50 Greyhawk whereas the same patch would be barely enough for a .58. I can see where loading a .58 QLA with a minimal patch might cause the problems roundball cites. On the other hand, super-sizing the patch a bit might put the .58 QLA back in the PRB game. ....or cut the patch at the muzzle like they did in the past.

BTW GM slow twist PRB barrels are sweet. Got a GM 15/16" .54 PRB barrel for my .50 Hawken and I luv' it. It's 32" long but the slim 15/16" diameter keeps it from being overly heavy. Shoots like a dream. Dropped a doe with it Thursday.
Bob

short_start said:
I think patch size might have something to do with whether the PRB will load correctly in a QLA barrel. I use pre-cut, pre-lubed Wonder patches in the .50-.59 size when shooting PRB in my QLA equipped .50 Greyhawk. Never had a problem loading and accuracy was to die for using light loads (never tried heavy PRB loads in that gun for some reason :confused: ).

Anywho, my point is that the .50-.59 patch is significantly larger than needed for the .50 Greyhawk whereas the same patch would be barely enough for a .58. I can see where loading a .58 QLA with a minimal patch might cause the problems roundball cites. On the other hand, super-sizing the patch a bit might put the .58 QLA back in the PRB game. ....or cut the patch at the muzzle like they did in the past.

BTW GM slow twist PRB barrels are sweet. Got a GM 15/16" .54 PRB barrel for my .50 Hawken and I luv' it. It's 32" long but the slim 15/16" diameter keeps it from being overly heavy. Shoots like a dream. Dropped a doe with it Thursday.
Bob

Just to be clear, I simply responded to his question and went to lengths to state that it was just my opinion, my personal view of the QLA...I just think they were a solution looking for a problem to solve which wasn't there, give up an inch of rifling in the process, and have to work around them using over size patches, etc...since there was no benefit to me personally, I got rid of the barrel.

Completely agree with you that 1:48"'s are very a accurate...old wives tales die hard.

GM makes great barrels for sure, and I have some drop-ins for my Hawken stocks...a 1" x 33" .58cal RB barrel, excellent, took a couple bucks with it in November...and a 15/16" x 33" .54cal Flint Smoothbore barrel, took my other two bucks with it during the rut as well...need to find some small game to try some shot loads in it.

One reason I frequent this forum is to learn and find the best answers regarding BP. My consensus right now is.... come tomorrow a.m. I am calling the T/C custom shop and request a barrel that does not have the QLA in the muzzle.... as I like my old T/C barrels the way they are without it and since I ordered a 58 cal. it will be a lot bigger and I can see having to change my way of patching as to how I currently patch my 54's.

I thank everyone for their opinion and there are a lot of people on here with a lot of experience and knowledge....I am happy to be able to "tap into" the vast number of brain cells out there!!!

I just hope T/C Custom Shop can honor my request in the 58 caliber. If not, I will go ahead and give the QLA a chance to work, but I will be shooting RBs most likely in the 58 as that is main reason for buying the 58 caliber anyway as my three 54 calibers will shoot conicals that are plenty big enough for the big game like Elk,etc. and I want the wallop of the 58 roundball to use on same big game.
Jim in Idaho

Back