• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New sight on TC flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebiggs1

69 Cal.
Reaction score
This has become my favorite gun, not just flintlock, but my favorite gun of all time.
I finally got the Track of the Wolf “Hawken” sight on and man what a difference.
I would not have thought just changing a sight could have such an impact.
Here it is.

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1893.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

I know I have started this venture rather late in life and there will not be any of those 200, and beyond, yard shots with the TC Hawken, but flintlocks are something else.

They are just plain addictive!

Nice, hope you also changed the F S, that large bead always bothered me, I changed out to a partrige style , T/C Renegade F S

The issue rear sight on my rocklock Austin & Halleck Mountain Rifle gives almost exactly the same sight picture - one of the things I absolutely love about it.

DSCN0224.JPG

The full buckhorn rear sight acts just like the receiver peep sights on my metallic rifles.

How did you cut the dovetail. I have looked at and liked that sight for awhile. It would be nice on both my Renegade which would need the dovetail cut and on my GPR which would need the existing one made bigger. I believe that assembly moves the sight back an inch or two doesn't it?, I think for me that would help my sight picture.

I did not cut the dovetail. I had a local gunsmith do it. It cost me $35 bucks and took two weeks. I have cut dovetails like the above post describes but I will tell you before hand, it isn’t as easy as that description make it sound! We are talking accuracy here. Plus it will cost you a good part of the $35 bucks to do it yourself. Which if you have several to do would not be so bad.
The sight is moved back about two inches and that only helps with sight picture. And yes the full buckhorn is wonderful and helps old eyeballs. I am keeping the front bead sight for now as I have filed a small “V” in the rear sight that fits it perfectly. BTW, the rear sight comes without any notch so you may put whatever you want in it. You still get to file something!

Looks good. now down the line a ways we hope when the eyes go away farther you can just turn the sight around and fix the problem. It will move the sight about 4 inches further down the barrel and you will be able to see your sights clear again for a while. Worked for me.
Fox :thumbsup:

I went w/ the T/C fiber optics. The front sight is much thinner and has a red element. The rear sight uses the original screw holes and has a horseshoe green fiber optic. I find it alot easier to put the red dot between the two green ones. My problem was loosing the iron front blade despite white & yellow paint to highlight it.

Of course the next year PA allowed peep sights on flintlocks, but I had already solved my problem...

Before I retired I made some plates with the dovetail cut in that fit right over the flats of the 15/16 oct. drilled for the origional sight holes. This allows me to mount my buckhorn sights and move them about two inches further out the barrel. They are a great improvement over factory. If anyone is interested send me a p.m. as I have a couple of extra's and I could send you a email with pictures. I still have problems with the photo bucket.

This is the Rear Sight I put on my TC Rifle.

TCHawken004.jpg

I installed a Renegade Partridge blade front sight.

That adjustable Hawken rear sight does look nice.

Robert

Back