• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEW silly things you've witnessed (or done)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lehigh, first of all, I about fell out of my chair laughing when I noticed your picture icon. :crackup:
Second, if that is really you, and it wasnt a joke, Im glad you live so far away, cause it wouldnt be worth the travel to come beat me up! ::

Jeff,

Laughing harmlessly at ourselves is good.

Please feel free to do so whenever you choose.

Lehigh County;
Where propa gunnes are made!

:blah:

PS As for "The Body", I think I'll just keep you guessing. :hmm:

I recall an incident I had 20 years ago. I picked up an Ethan Allen .44 smoothbore "Gamblers Pistol" at a gun show. Took it over to a friends house to show him. There were big, woooden cabbage crates there at the farm made from rough sawed lumber. These boxes were probably 4' cubes, with the boards themselves being on the order of 1-1/2" x 6" x 4'. We scratched a mark on the center of one of these boards and fired the little pistol from a "combat" distance of maybe 18". The charge must have been around 10 or 15 gr of 3f. The darn ball bounced right off that crate and impacted at our feet! The ball probably would not have penetrated skin, but a serious welt, broken tooth, or missing eye was avoided that day.

JW

I set up my son's flint for our late flintlock season, but didn't realize when I did that when the gun was at halfcock the frizzen rested against that flint and didn't close completely. There was only the tiniest gap, but it was enough to allow him to dump his priming charge out in the woods.

I checked his gun while we were hunting as I frequently do and discovered that his pan was empty. I couldn't move the flint any farther back so I decided to knap it just a litle. After I knapped enough to close the cover I checked the spark. I warned both of my kids to stand behind me, and directed the muzzle at a big dirt pile. I cocked the gun, squeezed the trigger and BOOM!! With no primer in the pan and the touchhole angled down the gun went off. Fortunately I was aware that this could happen and took the necessary precautions to insure that nothing would be damaged if it did.

jh2oman,

I had a similar experience with a .36 cal. revolver. I was trying a light load for pllinking and I loaded a RB on top of 10 grains of 3F. The first ball that I fired bounced off of a tree stump and came back at me. I know that it wouldn't have been fatal if it had hit me, but it would have left a heck of a bruise, I'm sure. I usually shoot about 16 gr. for a plinking load now.

Rebel, this old wreck had a bbl stuffed full of something, and I was trying to free it..I'd put oil in, and it hadn't even worked its way to the nipple after a couple of days..there was enough manure in the bbl that measuring with the ram rod wouldn't work...what finally came out was a mud-dauber's nest...this old gun had been found under a barn...I picked it up by the bbl in an antique store, and the stock fell off...the tang was broken about 2" back from the breech, the lock was missing, and it had once been a full stock but had been cut down at a break, and much repaired with hand cut brass brads and galvanized metal squares...I took photo's of everything, finally cut off the bbl in front of the breech, leaving 43"...the bbl went to a gunsmith friend, as did the remains of the stock for use as a pattern, the set triggers, which still worked, went to a chap who does work for Jim Chambers..maybe to be of interest there...finally, what I thought was the iron hardware turned out to be brass...the buttplate, trigger guard and the ramrod entry pipe are now on an old CVA Mtn rifle....such local "experts" as I could find agreed on two things...it was a composite of at least 2 old guns, and some of the parts were Revolutionary War era...the brass that I saved...Hank

A similar inicident happend to me when I was about 10 years old plinking with a 22 in the back yard. I shot at an oil can, the bulllet hit the left side of the can penetrating the front edge, ran around the back of the can leaving a groove, and exited the right side of the can back at me. The bullet passed within an inch of my ear on it's return trip.

Lehigh county:

Sir i respectfully submit my opinion that you did everyone a service by reminding all of us to be safer when we enjoy out hobby. Embarrasing incidents, reports of other incidents, and generally talking through what happened in any unsafe occasion should serve us all. We learn from our mistakes, as well as reports of the mistakes of others.

Perhaps we need a continuing thread on safety, but that is up to the administrators and moderators who graciously host and administer this forum.

rayb

**SNIP** I'll trust the mark on the ramrod to tell me if it is loaded...but not with any other gun...best, Hank

There's a safety check that we do with reenactments called springing the ramrod. Basically you put all but about 8" to 1' of the ramrod into the barrel, grab it by the sides of the top, and throw it the rest of the way down. As long as it's clear, the ramrod springs back up, in fact sometimes almost completely out of the barrel. If there's powder or a ball in the barrel, it won't spring. Might bounce a little, but it won't spring. Try it on an empty barrel and you'll see what I mean about it springing back up.

Twisted,, thanks..that's a neat trick. It reminds me that we drop a ramrod down a bbl, and then pull it and examine its tip to see if there is any powder...sometimes, when you're in the loading process, someone will engage you in conversation and you'll actually forget where you were in the loading[url] process...in[/url] my case, I'm Sec./Treasury of the club, and get interrupted a lot...I'll try your trick as well...Hank

Last edited by a moderator:
in my case, I'm Sec./Treasury of the club, and get interrupted a lot

Hank,

I'm President, Secretary, Caretaker Treasurer (which probably = permanent), and Nominated Officer for handguns!!!

But then again I'm the only member in da club! :crackup:

:blah:

Lehigh County, where propa longarms is made.

:crackup:I don't know about everyone else,but how about having to reload after missing a great rack and amining,pulling trigger, then realise that you put the ball and patch in with NO POWDER!!! :eek:

Some people shouldn't be allowed near firearms. About 10 years ago at rendezvous we had a near fatality. The weather was bordering between crappy and downright miserable. Overcast and drizzley. I was about halfway down the trailwalk when one of the club members came running from the far end of the range, looking for anyone with medical skills, it seemed that one of the shooters had a burning ember in his eye. It turned out that he had a squib charge and didn't realize it. Thinking that the shot had exited the barrel he went to blow down the barrel(BIG NO-NO) and the charge went off! At first they thought that he had only burned his face from the flash but then they couldn't find a bullet hole in his wide-brimmed hat. They rushed him to the hospital where they removed a .50 cal ball from the BACK of his skull. It turned out that ball had entered under the eyelid and traveled under the top of his skull before stopping in the back. He lost the sight in that eye. When they called the hospital that he was coming in they only said that he had benn shot. When the club members arrived at the hosp. They were greeted by local police, county sheriffs and the highway patrol and spent the next few hours explaining just what happened. Needless to say blowing down the barrel is strictly forbidden at the shoot now.

No, see, I think that's incorrect IMHO. The guy was not taught properly. And now, everybody else gets punished because of one guy's mistake. I've been blowing down my barrel for 20 years, but I've never once done it if there was even a sliver of doubt that the rifle still had a ball and a charge in the barrel... certainly never after a misfire. Beliefs such as "Some people shouldn't be allowed near firearms." are the reason we have hundreds of gun control groups trying to take away our guns. They're all about punishing the entire group for the mistakes of the few.

:m2c:

:agree: Static, good point, that someone was not educated correctly on use of a weapon. As you stated we all pay the price. When educated on the use of ANY weapon it is ALWAYS LOADED!! :redthumb:

:rolleyes: back about '77 i was fishing in a creek back in thea bottomland timber, about as remote as you can get in iowa. a car drives up and five guys start shooting handguns. they were drinking & (smokin). one grabs .45 auto and has it up by his face pulled trigger. gun hits his face he drops it and it go's off again, twice.nothing hit but the car. they threw the pistol in the crick and took off. 2 years later i found it with a magnet (i tried diving for it twice). it was cocked & loaded. glad i didnt find it diving, might a blew my head off. it was such a mess i threw it back.

it looked like a GI .45 but the serations on the slide were diferent. cheap plastic grips and spanish writing that was wore down or rusted away. triggerguard had chip out of it.

it looked like a GI .45 but the serations on the slide were diferent. cheap plastic grips and spanish writing that was wore down or rusted away. triggerguard had chip out of it.

Ya did good....
leaver right there on the bottom. There were some Spanish imports that were pure junk. Some that I have seen they omitted the grip safety.

Guess I should say something about loading the 45ACP with BP to stay on topic. YES I HAVE ! :youcrazy:

No it don't :crackup: :crackup: Well not very good any way. :peace:

Hairsmith

I have VOULENTEERED as a Range Safety Officer going on SIX YEARS, at a Shooting Range that has over 120,000+ Customer Visits per year.

I have witnessed too many

Back