• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

NEW silly things you've witnessed (or done)?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i broke the fiberglass rod i had for my tc hawk.
the thing was first generation, about 20yrs old, so
last time i was at cabellas, i got an alum replacement.
didnt read the dir.slapped it together w/o seating the
end.
then couple days ltr went tgt shootn. put the cleaning jag on and ended up w the jag stuck in the barrel. i tried everything to get it out. the only thing that worked was
to run the vent out, and slip about 10 grns o powder
behind it.
i didn't want to loose any of it so i shot it into a sleeping bag i hung over a clothsline :eek:

Dood,
When I first got into muzzleloaders about 20 years ago, I used to see a lot of guys blow down the barrel. I never see anyone do it anymore. Always wondered - what is the purpose for doing it anyway?

Finnwolf

Supposed to keep fouling soft and put out any glowing sparks from the previous shot. And who knows, maybe it does.

A few years ago I was experimenting with a .56cal smoothbore caplock, alone at the range on a cool January day.
Was halfway through the range session, loaded to fire, and had a dud percussion cap, laid the rifle down on the padded bench, muzzle properly downrange, etc.

It was warming up so I took off my coat and laid it across the bench out in front of the rifle, pulled the hammer back to half cock, flipped the dud cap off the nipple with my pocket knife, and recapped it.

Reached down to pull the hammer back to full cock before lifting the rifle up, the hammer slipped out from under my gloved thumb and blasted a hole through a few folds of a good jacket laying across the front of the bench.
:redface: :redface:

it looked like a GI .45 but the serations on the slide were diferent. cheap plastic grips and spanish writing that was wore down or rusted away.

Sound slike a Ballister Molina copy of the Colt 1911 some are worth some bucks

Since this is a flintlock forum, this may be a little bit off-topic, but the small town I live in has a Navy base. One of the security personnell had bought a Ruger semi-auto pistol and was getting used to it. He dropped the magazine, and looked out the window. There was a kid riding by on a bicycle so he sighted in and squeezed the trigger.
He found out that that gun did not have a magazine safety.
A boy is dead. and a man who wanted to be a LEO is now in prison.
TREAT EVERY GUN AS IF IT IS LOADED.

Back