• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to BlackPowder revolvers- question on cylinder/bore 'fitting'.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bczrx

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

I have an 1864-production year Remington 1858 New Model Army. Using a light I can see a hint of the edge of the chamber wall on the side of the barrel when I look down the muzzle.

I plan on fitting a new cylinder stop to align it properly.

However, I need some advice on how I should fit it.

I have fit stops on Ruger [SA and DA/SA], S&W DA/SA and Colt DA/SA revolvers.

I know that the design theory behind the Ruger DA/SA and S&W DA/SA revolvers was that a hint of side-to-side motion of the cylinder was allowed as this allowed the bullet to 'align itself' in the chamber of the barrel.

Colt on the other hand wanted a 'bank vault lock-up', where there is no motion allowed- rotational or fore/aft.

When I go to fit the stop to the original Remington New Model Army, should I set the cylinder stop/bolt so that it allows NO rotational motion when the cylinder is stopped//locked in place?

Or should I allow a hint of wiggle room to allow it to self-center, a la Ruger and S&W?

I don't want to destroy the barrel [or any other part of this 160 year old revolver], so I figured I'd ask the collective first.

Thank you for any insights you can share.

I would try and set the stop for solid alignment, free of wiggle..Wear in the hand will eventually result in some wiggle anyways. As you know, the hand holds the cylinder against the stop. Use a range rod (sounds like you have them) to confirm your alignment.

I am no gunsmith. But it seems to me the most important thing is that when fully cocked, the chamber is aligned with the bore. On firing, the bullet will be gone in an instant before play will have much chance to do anything.

A borescope is useful in seeing the "crescent moon" shape of a misaligned chamber.

Hello,

I have an 1864-production year Remington 1858 New Model Army. Using a light I can see a hint of the edge of the chamber wall on the side of the barrel when I look down the muzzle.

I plan on fitting a new cylinder stop to align it properly.

However, I need some advice on how I should fit it.

I have fit stops on Ruger [SA and DA/SA], S&W DA/SA and Colt DA/SA revolvers.

I know that the design theory behind the Ruger DA/SA and S&W DA/SA revolvers was that a hint of side-to-side motion of the cylinder was allowed as this allowed the bullet to 'align itself' in the chamber of the barrel.

Colt on the other hand wanted a 'bank vault lock-up', where there is no motion allowed- rotational or fore/aft.

When I go to fit the stop to the original Remington New Model Army, should I set the cylinder stop/bolt so that it allows NO rotational motion when the cylinder is stopped//locked in place?

Or should I allow a hint of wiggle room to allow it to self-center, a la Ruger and S&W?

I don't want to destroy the barrel [or any other part of this 160 year old revolver], so I figured I'd ask the collective first.

Thank you for any insights you can share.

Not really,

Back