• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Crockett nipple wrench

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone found an actual nipple wrench that fits a crockett yet? I had an old wrench I done some file work to and made it fit somewhat decent but it finally broke on me. Because I had to file the sides thiner it weakened it and it finally spread out and stripped. I'd love to find a wrench that actually fits before wasting money on another one and have to file it down again as well just to get a few uses out of it before it craps out on me. Thanks in advance!!

Have you actually used this wrench on a Crockett rifle? It has a “very” thin space between the nipple and lock to work with.

I’d order one of these in a hot second if you can confirm.
Can NOT confirm as to a Crocket. I have used it on antique guns with a very tight bolster. I modified the small ‘pistol’ socket slightly and without trouble to fit on a larger nipple. The small socket will fit into any space you can get the nipple in to.

Can NOT confirm as to a Crocket. I have used it on antique guns with a very tight bolster. I modified the small ‘pistol’ socket slightly and without trouble to fit on a larger nipple. The small socket will fit into any space you can get the nipple in to.
Thank you and I may still try one. I had been thinking about filing down a socket and giving that a go…

I don't tighten it up very tight just snugg. I ran out of anti-seize and pu
Your nipple may be in way too tight. It only takes a thumb and a forefinger on the wrench to tighten or loosen a nipple. Use anti-seize too.
T the nipple on anyways. Should've known it would foul up on me

Scott, I have a friend with a metal lathe. He made one to fit my Crockett. They are thin for sure.
I was thinking along the same lines. I ordered the ratchet and rifle socket. Thinking I may be able to throw it in the chuck, spin it up and file it down if needed.

If it’s too big to try I can look at modifying the pistol socket as mentioned above. It does appear to be significantly slimmer.

Latest posts

Back