• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your gonna love that Flinter....which model is it?
I shoot a .50 Traditions SHENANDOAH FLINTER...Love it!
Have never had any problems with it and it shoots very accurate.....14 Bucks went to the freezer so far.
Oh....you got a heck of a deal.
take her out shootin!!!!

*** WV SCROUNGER ***

As long as we are here, I was woundering how to clean it. With my caplocks I pull off the barrel and use hot water and soap. I dosen't look as if it would so easy to pull off the kentucky.

scarecrow said:
I used a bucket with the caplocks. Do I just soak the patches first?

Cleaning a gun w/o a hook breach isn't as easy as being able to take Bbl. off but here's what I do.

1. Take a cleaning patch.fold it up & put it firmly against the touch hole & close the pancover to hold it in place.
2.I hold a towel around the muzzel,to catch any liquid,& them swab out the Bbl. w/ windex or "moose milk"(do not over saturate the patches)
3. Thenuse patches w/ plain hot water to rinse & the dry.
Hpoe this helps.

As to tools,a good metal pick (sized to fit your touch hole. I have found thar a quill or tooth pick is not strong enough to clean mine out.I also like a brass wire brush. many sites, like Track of the Wolf have nice sets that are inexpensive.ALSO either buy (Track of the Wolf etc) or make a small pouch to carry tools & SPARE flints (it is more convenient that carrying them loose in your poss. bag.

Puffer

I have the picks, a small tool case made of leather, and some brushes. Now all I have to do is get out there and do some shooting. I might get out in the morning if its not raining. But who knows.

I always used HOT water as it would evaperate quicker and then oil the barrel down good.Be sure to run a patch it though before you shoot it.Also I found my own hand chipped flints seem to work better then the factory ones.I think it was because the edges were sharper,they lasted longer too.Have fun! :hatsoff:

I've always used hot water and would like to keep it that way. Its what works for me. Then I use wounder lube on a patch after it is dry. That has worked on my Hawkens for the last year. Its just a lot of work to pull the barrel off the Kentucky.
Thanks for all the help.

Back