• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

new to muzzleloading and need help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigers

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I bought myself a 50 cal and took it to my uncles to have him show me how to use it. that weekend it worked great.it was really fun. yesterday i went out shooting and it would not fire even once. i wasted about 7 caps trying to get it to fire. now i have a load in the barrel and the ball extractor will not remove the ball. is there anything else i can do to unload the gun and take it to my uncles when he returns in a week? thanks for your help.

Did you try to get the gun to fire by removing the nipple and pouring a small amount of powder down into the hole that leads from the nipple to the bore?

Often, doing this and then replacing the nipple, capping it and firing the gun will do one of two things.
It will either set off the main powder charge or if you forgot to pour the main powder charge down the barrel it will have enough energy to blow the patched ball out of the barrel.

Because either one of these things can happen always do this at a shooting range or somewhere else that is safe to fire a fully loaded gun.

By the way, when you do this, it is also a good idea to run a pipe cleaner down thru the flame channel (the hole that connects the nipple with the bore). Often this channel will have a lot of oil in it from the last time the gun was cleaned and oiled. This oil can contaminate the powder and prevent it from igniting.
If you run a pipe cleaner (available at most drug stores) down thru the flame channel it can serve to cram the contaminated powder back into the rest of the powder charge in the barrel and expose some uncontaminated powder to the flame that the new powder you poured into the channel will produce.

The first time I tried shooting my gun it did not
fire. I removed the ball, patch and powder.
Then I removed the other ball and patch.
Apparently I left a ball and patch in the barrel when I was trying to figure out what thickness patch I should use. I reloaded and it shot just fine.

Later I loaded a patch and ball and forgot the powder. I was having a hard time removing the ball with the rod and screw attachment, until I tapped on the under side of the rod handle a few times. It came out.

That was my first experience shooting my muzzleloader and first time shooting any muzzleloader. The mistakes and things a greenhorn learns!

Interesting, very interesting. That could be a handy tip for a greenhorn like me.

"if you forgot to pour the main powder charge down the barrel it will have enough energy to blow the patched ball out of the barrel."

wont help ya now, but next time before you load, dry fire a couple of caps into the dirt -- check to see that the dirt is moved by the blast out the muzzle. That way you know the fire channel is clear of oil and any other fouling.

It could also something as simple as a plugged nipple. If you have a nipple wrench remove the nipple and clean it.

Since 'dry-balling' is something that has happened to most of us at least once - regardless of protestations to the contrary - one of the essential items in MY shooting box is a CO2 ball discharger.

You don't even have to admit to having bought one - in any case, WE won't tell, will we guys?

tac

Ah, just in case, how do you use one and how much do they cost? Cause if there is a way of screwing something up........

I noticed that the $20 only gets you the charger plus one CO2 cylinder.
You've got to kick in another $12 to buy the adapters that are needed to make the thing work with a gun. Then another $10 for some extra CO2 cylinders.

Apparently this discharger is made for the larger CO2 cartridges so does any one know if they will work with the small ones that air rifles use?

If you get the CO2 ball extractor gizmo, be sure you get the proper attachement for your gun, because they come with NONE. As an optional accessory you can get the connector for #11 cap, flintlock, musket cap or 209 primer. Sorry - missed the previous post.

A nipple pick to clean out the nipple if you have powder in the barrel? I have loaded mine without the powder once, ok maybe two times. :redface:

A CO2 bottle that is avaible to blow it out of the barrel. :wink:

sounds like you just learned the first rule of shooting black powder (or replicas too for that matter ) You must CLEAN the gun. All black powder guns need cleaned and properly "oiled" I put oiled in quote marks since there are many opinions on petrolium oils vs, veg/animal fats etc. If you shoot a black powder gun and don't clean it well you will have these problems. Myself I started shooting black powder in the late 1950's early 60's when sperm oil was considered the best. ( I still have a few ounces left ) After cleaning my guns I run a well lubed patch with animal fat and bees wax down the barrel and out, then I put a large dry cloth patch down the breech and then oil the barrel heavily with a petrolium and wax product. (Sprayon long term rust prevention available from industrial supply houses such as J&L )Then before shooting I remove the patch from the breech, clean with an alcohol soaked patch. Then I put a few grains of powder down the barrel and set off a cap to make sure all of the oil is washed out. It is easier to clean out a little oil fouled powder if there is no ball on top of it. I developed this method over 50 plus years and find it prevents problems and keeps the barrels in like new condition. As for expensive cleaning solutions I prefer hot water a little soap and a hot rinse followed by dry patches.Also alcohol works great if hot water is not readyily available.Remember clean is when a white patch run down the barrel and out is still white!

I would try to get some powder under the nipple or clean out screw and shooting the ball out rather than jumping into the "gotta have" gizmo mindset from the get go... once you start down that path you will need a wheel barrow to carry your stuff.

Zonie,
Of course your cost figures are correct,
but this gizmo does work. I purchased one with
all the attachments and an extra box of CO2
cartriges and donated it to one of the B/P gun clubs I belong to. It is required to be used
during shoots at the firing line at a cost of
$2.00. Plus the users name is posted and the times
used. I would say that it has cut down by 75%
the number of times used since the beginning about
3 years ago.
Before you ask....Yes my name is posted:redface: Twice:redface::redface:
snake-eyes :wink:
There are cheaper places to by CO2 cartriges
than Cabela's and you do not need the large one.

wwpete52 said:
It could also something as simple as a plugged nipple. If you have a nipple wrench remove the nipple and clean it.

This is one of the two reasons why I purchased a dozen 5/16"-18 nipples for my P53 Enfield rifle musket.
1.) When a nipple gets plugged with residue and the musket misfires, I install a clean nipple and do not have any down time cleaning one.
2.) The 5/16"-18 English nipple for my P53 Enfield is unique and for some reason those nipples are only available at one supplier.

What down time? My T/C nipple wrench removes the nipple, and it has a wire in the wrench handle that is easily pushed through the nipple from either end, depending on where the obstruction is. Zip! I am putting the nipple back in the gun and getting ready to shoot again. NO extra Down Time than would not be involved in putting another nipple in the gun.

58cal. said:
The first time I tried shooting my gun it did not
fire. I removed the ball, patch and powder.
Then I removed the other ball and patch.
Apparently I left a ball and patch in the barrel when I was trying to figure out what thickness patch I should use. I reloaded and it shot just fine.

Later I loaded a patch and ball and forgot the powder. I was having a hard time removing the ball with the rod and screw attachment, until I tapped on the under side of the rod handle a few times. It came out.

That was my first experience shooting my muzzleloader and first time shooting any muzzleloader. The mistakes and things a greenhorn learns!

dryballing is something every BP shooter has done or will do. nothing harmed. except your ego.
BUT one primary commandment of Muzzleload shooting is 'DO NOT DOUBLE LOAD'
this is dangerous and the reason all sensible BP shooters mark the ramrod with a mark that indicates a loaded condition - this is very important.

Back