• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New TVM............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Roundball
I bet that is it. i'd like to know what that amount is though...[I must have got close]
Macon

Macon I am still waiting on mine. It should be here pretty soon. After hearing the guys talk about the shipping crate so much, I was thinking about renting a fork lift to unload my rifle. :grin: :grin:

I know I ordered the presentation wood upgrade on mine. And paid an extra $250 for the wood upgrade. I did not specify my finish on the wood. I figured the fellow would know the best way to make the wood look good. I also did not order a patchbox on mine so all the wood would show on the butt stock. Tom.

Hogghead said:
I did not specify my finish on the wood. I figured the fellow would know the best way to make the wood look good.

Personal opinion: I think that's a big mistake.

Hogghead said:
Macon I am still waiting on mine. It should be here pretty soon. After hearing the guys talk about the shipping crate so much, I was thinking about renting a fork lift to unload my rifle. :grin: :grin:

I know I ordered the presentation wood upgrade on mine. And paid an extra $250 for the wood upgrade. I did not specify my finish on the wood. I figured the fellow would know the best way to make the wood look good. I also did not order a patchbox on mine so all the wood would show on the butt stock. Tom.

Just a suggestion, but after reading a couple guns with minor things not done the way the person wanted, I think this is the time to call them and touch base with them about your build. It may just save you from a minor disappointment in the end. Also you might want to talk to them about the finish of your gun. You really don't want to leave it up to someone else on a piece of wood like that. Talk to them, let them know what you want from it and decide after some suggestions.

No, I think I will stay with my original decision. The man is a custom builder. I specified the wood I wanted. Now I am depending on him to make it look right. He is the professional, not me. I will trust in his judgement. If I did not trust his judgement then I would have had someone else build the rifle.

I have to assume the builder knows best?? Just an opinion. But I am sticking with it. And besides that I honestly don't know the intricacies of finishing a fine piece of Maple for a stock. However I do respect the opinions you guys have.

If I had a particular color or finish that I wanted then that would be different. But I really don't have a preference. So that is why I will depend on him.

I am sure if someone asked for a "reddish tint", that the tint could be open to some massive different expectations of what a "reddish tint" actually is. I believe TVM knows what they are doing, and will finish the wood properly. Just an opinion. :thumbsup:

Please no hard feelings. After all the ground hogs won't know what kind of tint my rifle has. And I already have the first ground hog picked out for my rifle. I bet he goes 18-19#. I have spotted him a few times. And have an ambush spot picked out. :confused:

I am hoping he will be my first kill. So I can get a little "reddish tint" of blood on my rifle!! :surrender: Tom.

Swampy I always have positive thoughts about things. It keeps my blood pressure low.

I understand what you are saying. But as I stated above I honestly don't know the best way of fininshing a Maple stock. And I really don't have a color or tint opinion. I like them all. Have a great evening. :v Tom.

While I also recommend details and a finish of one's choice when a gun is ordered, I'll just mention this FWIW. Not knowing anything when I ordered my first rifle, I didn't ask for any particular finish. The stock I received was gorgeous. Same with the second one though I did mention I liked the way another rifle's finish looked. I specified on the next two and wasn't as pleased. I'm currently having another built and have specified the finish but this time I KNOW it will look fine. Just takes time and experience especially when you're as hardheaded as me.

Hanshi
I might have been better off to have not said anything to them but I had seen several that had a 'reddish tint' to the stock.That is what I wanted but I did think I'd be able to see the grain of my $150.00 optional wood even indoors or in the shade? Oh well....live and learn I guess.
Macon

Back