• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New Underhammer build by 11 year old

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmww

70 Cal.
Reaction score
It has always been my dream as a young man to someday hunt with my children like my father and I did. I'm well aware that our sport will die without us passing our heritage on. Well I made this deal with my 11 year old daughter. I will be taking her deer hunting next year. But first she will need to go to the hunter safety course and also come up with a gun. The hunter safety course we will both go through so I can be with her.

The gun she will build. We managed to obtain another Underhammer action. The rough action came with all the fixings minus the stocks and barrel. There are cast marks and spurs from machining. John Taylor had given me a box of slightly used metal files. I showed my daughter how to use a file and also showed her what to look for on the action that needed to be removed. As I write this she is slowly filing off the blemishes on the action.
IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320.jpg

well sir ,that is one beautiful young lady :bow:becomeing involved in these kind of projects with her, you will never have to worry about where she is at,teach her well ,you and she both are to be commended. way to go you got it right :bow: :bow:

Ahh shucks Swamp Rat and Two-belly thanks. We will continue with the progress of her Underhammer build. My wife also home schools her. For an assignment she is going to write a multi-part article about the whole process. It is going to include the hunter safety course, the Underhammer build, the preparation for the hunt and the hunt itself. Since my hobby is photography I figured I'd photo-document this for her.

She has shown an interest in writing and I figured it might as well be something she could possibly send to a magazine from the perspective of an 11 year old. :thumbsup:

She's lucky to have a dad like you who will pass his knowledge and love of our sport on to her.

Kudos to you both. I hope to see a picture of her first deer next year.

:hatsoff:

HD

Well she finished up with the soft metal of the action frame. I've never liked the casting lines left behind on the hammer and trigger. However they are much harder and don't file down as well. So I had to teach her how to used the Dremil.

IMG_1326.jpg

I ground the trigger to demonstrate how to use it. She ground the hammer. Next we will browning the parts. I'd like to turn them black. Are we suppose to drop the browned parts into boiling distilled water to do this?

She was named after a Queen in Hawaii. Simply Emma! :grin:

gmww:
Yes, you put the browned parts into boiling water to turn them black. You want the water to come into direct contact with the brown rust so do this before you oil the parts.
Because the parts are not oiled at this stage, if there are any light areas in the color, you can continue with the browning process and then boil the parts again to blacken them.

Looks like your daughter is doing a great job but be warned. She too might catch the Build Bug and start eying those $800 boxes of parts and saying things like, "I've always thought a nice Melchior Fordney would be fun to build." :rotf:

sweet! i bought my oldest daughter a "little chipmunk" .22 when she was about 2 weeks old! 3 kids learned on that little rifle. only my son still shoots with me but i have a crop of great memories. glad to see the youngster enjoying the project. hats off to both of you. wk1 :hatsoff:

This is awesome :applause: :applause: :hatsoff:
My son built his 45 halfstock when he was 12 with a little tutoring.It was one of the old Belgian kits from DGW years ago. This brings back good memories.

I don't have any kids myself but I will say that I admire both of you. Maybe Emma will be a future NRA President. :hatsoff:

Kool! You can never tell where those skills learned young will take someone.
You just might be training a rocket scientist/engineer, or a gal who does not need to wait for a man to fix things around the house. Either way she will be ahead of the pack for it.
Keep us posted on this project, it will be interesting.
And when she takes her first game it will be sweeter, knowing she built the rifle.

So we have another gunsmith for the next generation coming up behind us. Good work, Glenn. She may get her talent from her daddy but her fine looks I'll bet come from her momma. :grin:

Great job dad, after all it's our children that will be running the show when we get old. This is the one way we have to insure our future is in good hands. It looks like the two of you have a great start to her project, I'm looking forward to watching it's progress. Keep up the good work ,I'm sure she will make you proud. You'll be puffed up like a peacock :haha: :haha:

Congrats to you and your daughter. There is never more well spent time than the time you spend with your children.
Nothing will bond the two of you together anymore, and enable you to get thru the hard times of life!

Back