• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie accuracy question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panzerman

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a Traditions Kentucky rifle in 45 cal a few months ago and was able to go to the range the past few weekends. Experimenting a bit I was able to get regular strikes in the bull at 50m with 60 grains of powder pushing a .440 ball. Feeling smug I moved to 100m and for the life of me have no idea where my rounds are landing but it certainly is not on the target! Other than using an obscenely large target what suggestions do you have?

If your POA=POI at 50 meters you could be 8" or more low at 100 depending on muzzle velocity, sights, etc.. This also assumes the wind isn't blowing too badly which is a whole different problem.

I like to shoot FFFG black powder. A .440 ball with pillow ticking for the patch. Lastly a good patch lube too.

I would increase or decrease the powder charge 5 gr at a time. Shoot from a bagged rest to see what the rifle likes. It sounds like you are in the ball park so far. :hmm:

I began using the same POA figuring I would hit low but after eventaully adding more than 2 feet to the POA and still not registering on target I was lost

I am shooting GOEX-SWISS 3F BP and pre-lubed pillow ticking. I moved to a bag rest after the obvious misses but still was perplexed...what charge is safe to graduate to? I thought that it might top out around 70 grains but that is a figure I pulled out of .....the air.

panzerman said:
I am shooting GOEX-SWISS 3F BP and pre-lubed pillow ticking. I moved to a bag rest after the obvious misses but still was perplexed...what charge is safe to graduate to? I thought that it might top out around 70 grains but that is a figure I pulled out of .....the air.

panzerman said:
I began using the same POA figuring I would hit low but after eventually adding more than 2 feet to the POA and still not registering on target I was lost

These statements confuse me. It sounds like you have been shooting from an unsupported position for all your shooting, including the 50m stuff.

Shoot some groups at 50m from a solid bench rest and determine POI as well as group size. You should be shooting sub 2" groups, well centered and hopefully a couple inches above POA. Once you've accomplished that, then start moving back. Trying 75m. first before moving to 100 if possible. Without a solid foundation at 50 you're just pissing in the wind at 100.

You might also try inspecting your fired patches. If they're coming apart on you 100m accuracy just ain't going to happen.

Use a 3' x 3' cardboard backing to put your target on. If you get 2" groups at 50 you should be getting 4" groups at 100 yards. Once you know for sure where your hitting you can make adjustments to see if it helps.

Hitting at 100 yards with open sights on a muzzleloader isn't easy for a new shooter. Keep at it.

My mistake; I started off from a bag rest at 50, once I got good results I went to offhand. Hitting was easy at 50 from standing so I figured I would have no issues at 100, which of course I did so I went back to the bag rest.

I had roughly 2-inch groups at 50 though they were just hanging inside the left side of the bull at 9 O' clock.

assuming you are at or near sea level and your 33" barrel will generate 1500 fps with 60 gr. of powder at 70 deg, zeroed at 50 yards, the balistics calculator estimates a drop of 7.8" at 100 yards

Since your profile says retired Marine I'm going to assume it's not a shooter issue.

Check your fired patches. They should be intact.

Also not sure what size paper you're shooting at. It doesn't take much wind to blow a RB off a small target. Rough rule of thumb is 1" of drift for every 1 mph of crosswind component at 100 yds.

I say patches or wind too! Especially with a. 45 calibre ball. I drive them hard out of my .54 but I'm shocked how much they are affected by wind at 100 metres. Working it all out is part of the fun and teaches you to become familiar with your rifle. Then you'll dryball!!

Kapow said:
I say patches or wind too! Especially with a. 45 calibre ball. I drive them hard out of my .54 but I'm shocked how much they are affected by wind at 100 metres. Working it all out is part of the fun and teaches you to become familiar with your rifle. Then you'll dryball!!

:) :grin: :metoo:

Latest posts

Back