• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie GPR todo list

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had my .54 GPR percussion for over 30 years. Liked it so much my wife bought me a .54 GPR flint kit three years ago. You will have no problems nailing a deer with that rifle. Everyone have given some excellent advice. To save some money, go to Wal-Mart and buy a couple of yards of their blue and white pillow ticking for your patches. Make your own lube. I use Ballistol oil, 4 parts water to 1 part oil, and can shoot all day without swabbing between shots. Later, you can start casting your own balls and save even more money. A range rod is nice to have. This is the type I use: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_320&products_id=1259 . They are unbreakable and have everything you need. I save the wooden ram rod for loading in the hunting field only. While you're at it, get a powder measure too: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_99_318&products_id=3721 . I also got my first rifle when I was 4. An old Stevens 87A semi auto .22. I was raised on a cattle ranch and it was a part of life. Have you thought about your next smokepole? :rotf: Enjoy :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to this great forum. You are at the beginning of an extraordinary journey.
But I would suggest you learn the gun and how to load it and shoot it before you dive into the tweaking and sighting in process. Use a basic, light, load and shoot a 100 times or so than start figuring out what you need to do.

Thanks for the feedback. A range rod has definitely been added to my must purchase list, I can foresee ruining the one with the rifle pretty quickly.

As far as what I'll get next I'm trying not to think about it. I figure I have more than enough to learn with what I have so we'll see how it goes. That said I could definitely see myself getting a flintlock next if I stick with it.

That's a pretty good chart in the link that you used for your powder weight/volume conversion.

Thanks for posting it. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to squirt WD 40 into the gap between the under-barrel rib and the barrel after cleaning or getting the GPR wet. The rib is no longer soldered and the hairline gap collects water. Water = rust. You will love that rifle!

bigted said:
black and pyrodex style powders are meassured by volume only. never meassure your charge by a scale for weight. only use a powder meassure that is adjustable to start with and later when you get a load that will stay with the rifle...you may want to make a powder meassure for that rifle outta horn or a piece of brass or some such thing.

but never depend on a scale to come up with a weighed charge for your black powder gun...any of them :surrender:

With respect, that is a common misconception, but I've never understood where it came from. B.P. charges have always been been specified by weight, whether in pounds, ounces, drams, or grains. FWIW, there is no volumetric unit of "grains". We often use the convenience of volumetric measurement to approximate a particular weight of powder, whether GOEX FFFg with my brass Treso or H4895 with my Lyman 55. Volumetric B.P. powder measures take advantage of two factors.

One factor is that, since the second quarter of the 19th century, almost all varieties of real corned "Gunpowder" have approximately the same bulk density - which is coincidentally close to that of water at 1.0g/cc. This is in sharp contrast to more modern propellants that vary drastically in bulk density. Grain size (Fg, FFFg, etc.) per se does not make a major difference - just the density, rounding, and size distribution of the powder grains. Whatever the volume is in cubic inches or cubic centimeters, the "100gr" setting on a powder measure should throw charges weighing approximately 100gr of any real black powder. This will naturally vary somewhat with both the density of the powder and the technique of measurement - as-poured, or tapped to settle then topped up and/or struck-off level. My reading suggests that, in the old days, manufacturers often calibrated measures for a particular powder and a particular technique - often tapped and struck-off. Sometimes it seems to have been for more of an average density of different granulations and/or manufacturers, and nowadays, some seem to be set for the density of water as an approximation. Unfortunately, this calibration seems to be inconsistently done now, as some measures of recent manufacture are way off with any powder - but this is consistent with all powders in those measures, and is a design & manufacturing problem, not something inherent to the "system".

The other factor is that real B.P. is not particularly sensitive to small variations in charges. Hence, the somewhat greater variations in individual charges is less important for accuracy, except possibly in the higher levels of target shooting, where shooters often weigh all charges. The difference in power among different powders, lots, and granulations is dealt with separately from the measurement of the powder, as it is also with modern powders. One shooter might note that she gets about the same trajectory and POI with 60gr of GOEX FFFg, 85gr of GOEX FFg, or 95gr of '98 vintage Elephant FFg, but not note which lots or how these charges were measured, and this information is often good enough for our purposes. In contrast, a long-range competition shooter might note that that he has to adjust his charges, weighed to .1gr, by up to 3 grains when changing between lots of post-2004 Goex Fg.

It is when we get into the B.P. substitutes that the measurement technique must be specified. The new powders are often formulated and manufactured to have the same volume as the equivalent B.P. charge, and thus for the use of the same measured volume as that weight of B.P., while being of significantly lower weight. Hence, if weighed charges are used, a conversion like that posted by Christian becomes imperative.

Regards,
Joel

I had to file my GPR front sight down considerably. But you will have a good shooter there.

Joel/Calgary said:
bigted said:
black and pyrodex style powders are meassured by volume only. never meassure your charge by a scale for weight. only use a powder meassure that is adjustable to start with and later when you get a load that will stay with the rifle...you may want to make a powder meassure for that rifle outta horn or a piece of brass or some such thing.

but never depend on a scale to come up with a weighed charge for your black powder gun...any of them :surrender:

With respect, that is a common misconception, but I've never understood where it came from. B.P. charges have always been been specified by weight, whether in pounds, ounces, drams, or grains. FWIW, there is no volumetric unit of "grains". ...
Regards,
Joel
Thanks for the long and scholarly post, but bp charges have been specified by volume for over 100 years. It's the truth, not a misconception. It's true that there's no governmental standard for grains as a unit of volume, but many of us believe that's actually a good thing.

It's also true that most bp substitutes (777 is an exception) are formulated such that a given volume of the substitute produces performance very similar to the same volume of real black powder. On purpose. Because bp measures are traditionally understood to be by volume.

mykeal said:
Thanks for the long and scholarly post, but bp charges have been specified by volume for over 100 years. It's the truth, not a misconception.
With respect, no, that is a misconception. We use volumetric measures for convenience, but the specified charges are weights. Measuring by grains is no different than measuring by drams, ounces, pounds, grams, kilograms, or tons. If the substance being measured is sufficiently consistent, you can can use a volumetric measure marked for the weight you want to get the weight you want to within some certain accuracy. If that accuracy is sufficient, you don't have to bother with weighing the charges to check them. The charges of the specified weights of B.P. have been measured out approximately in more-or-less-calibrated volumetric measures. Because the various types of B.P. are of sufficiently consistent density that one calibration of volume to weight is "good enough" for most purposes, we have accepted the one set of markings.

mykeal said:
It's true that there's no governmental standard for grains as a unit of volume, but many of us believe that's actually a good thing.... Because bp measures are traditionally understood to be by volume.
Yes, just like my Lyman 55 measures smokeless, B.P. and the substitutes by volume, but the Lyman is not marked for the weight of one type of powder, it is marked for volume and I have to figure out what he volume is for the desired weight is of any powder I want to measure in it.

mykeal said:
It's also true that most bp substitutes (777 is an exception) are formulated such that a given volume of the substitute produces performance very similar to the same volume of real black powder. On purpose. Because bp measures are traditionally understood to be by volume.
And let's not forget "bulk smokeless" from back around the turn of the previous century. This deliberate coincidence does not change the fact the volumetric measures they are intended for are calibrated/marked for the weight of B.P. they are supposed to throw.

Regards,
Joel

I would just say shoot for groups and don't do a lot of filing until you have the groups you want. Good smoke, Ron

Back