• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTriple

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I tried searching the forums but to no avail. I'm interested in getting into muzzleloading but honestly know nothing about loading, care, shooting, and maintenance of these weapons.

I think I know how to load a single shot pistol based on what I've seen online (same goes for revolvers) but I'm iffy on how they are to be cleaned, lubricated, and generally cared for. The shooting part is easy...it's everything else that has me confused.

Are there any specific sticky threads/websites/blogs/vlogs that would help guide me on the way? I feel like just buying a pistol, getting the supplies, and giving it a go (and I feel I'd do pretty well) but I wanna know how much I really know first.

I just did a web search on "Shooting Black Powder Pistols" and there's tons of stuff out there from reading material to online videos.

When I started shooting black powder I had no local people to talk to or learn from. I just started reading everything I could until I got comfortable to make my first purchase and start.

If you have some specific questions I'm sure there are people here that can help.

Have fun and good luck!

Let's test my knowledge (for a percussion cap pistol):

Clean barrel -> measure and load powder -> place wad and slightly undersized ball on the muzzle -> ram down -> place percussion cap -> go boom.

yep. Make SURE the ball is all the way down on the powder with NO GAP AT ALL. Also make sure barrell is dry after you clean it. Yer addicted. Once ya go black ya never go back.

Your gonna want to put a patch on that ball but yeah you have the general idea.

It is allot easier than it seems at first. It is a basic controlled explosion launching a lead ball down range. Use only real black powder and black powder substitutes. If you want Black Powder you will have to ask for it by name from the manager of the local sporting goods store if they sell it. If you chose a substitute powder they are out on the shelf usually. Just be sure that you grab the right powder! Nothing smokeless! If the container doesn't say black powder substitute it isn't for BP guns. So long as you follow this rule you are fairly safe if you also practice safe shooting. Violate this rule of thumb and we will read about you in the news...

But yes it is as simple as measuring out the powder, pouring it down the barrel and following it with a patched ball. Cap the gun and fire.

Cleaning is easy as can be. A little soap, water, and patches does the trick. After it is clean rinse it, dry well then lube and put in the safe.
Now there are all manner of cleaning solutions and methods we may use but soap and water is sufficient.

go to the forum index under firearms they have pistols. those guys can tell you everything you need to and some that you dont :)

MrTriple said:
Let's test my knowledge (for a percussion cap pistol):

Clean barrel -> measure and load powder -> place wad and slightly undersized ball on the muzzle -> ram down -> place percussion cap -> go boom.

Like CL said use a patch on the round ball.A wad would not be necessary unless you were having trouble with the patches being burned.

Note: The most important thing to remember is Powder before the ball! Have fun, be Safe & Good Luck and Good Shootin' :thumbsup:

he may not have known what a patch is as opposed to a wad. To Mrtripple a wad is between the powder and the ball, and most of the time is thick,1/4 to 1/2 an inch. A patch is a thin piece of cloth that goes arond the ball and holds the ball and the rifiling. They run .10-.20 thick.

That's for a six gun, For a single shot pistol you will need a LUBED patch around the ball. Also if the pistol is, say .50 caliber the ball will be either a .490 or .495. diameter ball with a .010 patch to a .018 patch. I would just go back several pages and check out the topics (you can go back at least 6 or more pages for information).

Somebody mentioned Fadala's book and that is a great place to start. There are, and have been over the years, many other books, articles and pamphlets available which describe the loading, shooting and maintenance practices needed to shoot black powder firearms and a search of Amazon, Gun Digest, the Dixie Gun Works catalog and other sources will uncover all that you need to know to get started. The important thing is to read and heed the advice of the authors, all of whom have dealt with this sport for years. Another great source, if you can find one in your area, is someone who has the experience already. When I got into black powder, 45 years ago, I had a good friend who had been shooting for a couple of years who helped me learn the basics but it was reading and hands on experience that got me where I am today. The important thing is to always be careful and remember that these guns are every bit as dangerous as modern firearms and have to be respected as potentially lethal if mis-used. Also, as mentioned earlier, black powder and black powder substitutes are the only thing to use for muzzle loaders.

Good luck and be careful. You will find this a fascinating sport.

MrTriple said:
I tried searching the forums but to no avail. I'm interested in getting into muzzleloading but honestly know nothing about loading, care, shooting, and maintenance of these weapons.

I think I know how to load a single shot pistol based on what I've seen online (same goes for revolvers) but I'm iffy on how they are to be cleaned, lubricated, and generally cared for. The shooting part is easy...it's everything else that has me confused.

Are there any specific sticky threads/websites/blogs/vlogs that would help guide me on the way? I feel like just buying a pistol, getting the supplies, and giving it a go (and I feel I'd do pretty well) but I wanna know how much I really know first.

You could try to find a local or nearby ML club.
Check the NMLRA, National ML Rifle Assoc. Web site for clubs. This is not ALL such but there should be one somewhere within a reasonable driving range of your location.
Dan

If you are shooting a single shot pistol, you will have to swab the bore after several shots because the fouling will build up and make it ever harder to seat the ball. When you do this it is possible to push the fouling down the bore and plug up the flash hole. This can create a hangfire or misfire SO...at least to start, when ever you swab the bore to get rid of fouling, clear out the nipple (after swabbing) by firing a cap on an empty bore- that will blow out any plugged up fouling, then go ahead and reload as normal.

WARNING! WARNING! Shooting black powder is one of the most addictive things there is. You think you will start with a pistol, but you will end up needing a rifle, smoothbore, etc. There is no cure, only treatment. The treatment consists of more guns, more time at the range, more powder etc.! :hmm: :hmm:

Haha yeah I'm eyeing a Kentucky percussion pistol. I like the 1851s but I'm not ready for such a finicky pistol yet.

Plus pistol ranges are more common...and cheaper!

Latest posts

Back