• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Newbie with a Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flintlock62 said:
.65 cal? I thought they were .75 cal. :hmm: Just asking because I really don't know.

Many Klatch is correct. ALL British carbines were .65 caliber. Any that are now .75 are either suffering from sever bore erosion or are cut down muskets cut after the gun left military service. And, with minor exceptions, all had 37 inch barrels.

You've got some good advise so far but don't sell off all of those ARs. The "anti's" want them on the endangered species list and it's up to young guys like you to not let that happen!

That was what I was told by experts. Not having been there then I didn't know either. Carbines were issued to cavalry, artillery units, and light infantry. There seems to have been quite a bit of freedom in their design much more than there was for the full sized Bess that were issued to the line soldiers. So apparently while .65 was a standard, there must have been at least one batch of carbines made with a .72 caliber bore or there wouldn't be one in the museum at Kings Mountain.

We haven't had a chance to actually handle and measure the Kings Mountain Carbine to see if it truly is .72 or a mistake on the explanation card next to it.

Many Klatch

Spartan,

Don't want to be a buzz kill, but Doug R is correct. The Pedersoli is a repro of the Short Land Pattern musket with the 42" barrel. Short land pattern muskets weren't issued to British troops on their way to North America until the 1777-1778 time frame--so it's not 100% correct for a Lexington Green/Concord bridge impression. To be 100% you will need a Long Land Pattern musket with the 46" barrel and for a colonial militiaman impression, most likely an early version with the wooden ramrod. The British troops on April 19th, 1775 carried Long Land Pattern Bess's with steel ramrods and used paper cartridges.

If you plan to shoot PRB, use .715 balls. If you plan to roll your own paper cartridges (which is a heck of a lot of fun, and totally authentic) use .735 balls. The standard British issue ammo during the Rev War used a .690 ball to allow for fouling buildup from prolonged firing but for shooting today, with modern made PB, we don't need that small of a ball.

Anyway, have fun, that's the most important thing. Now that you've renounced the siren song of plastic rifles and smokeless powder, you will never stray from the path of blackpowder righteousness. Welcome to the dark side.

Welcome to the world of Pumpkin Slingers!
A Bess is a Great weapon, no matter what the model
I take mine to the Range evey time I go
I have gotten rid of all my center fire rifles
And now only hunt with a smooth bore Flintlock
Good luck
Shoot straight and keep your powder dry
Deutsch

Back