• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Niell Fields Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A friend and I both picked up Niell Fields rifles at the Ancient Ones of Maine show this weekend.
I know He used to work for Green River rifle works. But that is about it. This rifle is nice, Its built on an original late period Mortimer lock, .50 cal,Number 309.
Lets dissect this rifle. Style?, Period?,Info on the builder? Worth?.
here are some pics

Neill lives about 5 miles from me, I phoned him. He said this is a special rifle. It has an original Mortimer lock in it, with a 7/8x36" .50 barrel and he finished it February 14, 1990. It is a small Beck style. He built it for Phil Lalana of Trinidad, CO, who died, and his guns were sold by some eastern auction house. This is SN 309, but Neill is over 400 ML firearms built now. He is a very skilled and fast builder. Worked at the GRRW until they went out of business, then moved to Austrailia to build guns there for a year. He has built so many Hawkens that I doubt he would build another one, but he sure helps me in my work with them. He likes early rifles. What was the other rifle?

WOW Thanks that is really cool. You done me a solid. My friend bought the Hawken LOL. When this was built I was a senior in high school. It was valentines day so I have an idea exactly what I was doing :wink: . But It has a safe home now. Ill get the serial number off my friends rifle.

Shine, the pictures are gone?. And by the way you will get plenty of the "H" word down there in Florida! :grin: .

Nice looking rifle....you asked for a "dissection" so here goes. Personal preference would be a longer bbl, but that again can be a personal thing. The lock area is very well done....nice and slim. The combline is "swaybacked" a bit...sometimes the buttplate is at the wrong angle which forces "an ajustment" such as this. The pics of the butt are dark so can't comment on the carving. Nice piece of wood was chosen.....Fred

Dissect? To my eye the lock appears out of character for an otherwise, early Lancaster styled rifle. I can't tell if the lock panels are otherwise accentuated, but would have expected to see beaver tails behind at the very least. The angle of the cheek piece and trigger guard also reflect Lancaster rather than Beck....subtle differences in addition to what Fred already mentioned.

It IS a pretty rifle that most would be proud to own.

That's what I was thinking about the lock also. I think the gun was built around it . Being an original Mortimer English lock which is probably 1810 or later. It sparks like mad, has a rollered frizzen, very smooth internals. The rifle weighs in at just 6.5 lbs. Barrel has 8 lands and grooves. This dog might hunt. :grin: Im thinking I might pass this to my boy in a few years.

Back