• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple went a flyin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bob308 said:
no i breached it my self and made the breach to use 1/2-28 just like the t-c because the nipples were easier to get.
That is your problem a 1/2-28 would have stayed in! Or did you mean 1/4 /28 in your post! :idunno: :idunno:

Beaver Foot said:
I' ve got a problem, this weekend my buddy and i were out shootin our hawkens and i got the idea of shootin my first kentucky long rifle(cva) that i got 20 years ago. I loaded it up with 75 grains bp, wad, and 45 cal ball, cap and boom. Nipple blew out, richocheted off my sun glasses and into my forehead, burnt my face and made me lose about 80% of my hearing curently in my right ear. Been shootin for 25 + years huntin and rondevouing and never had this happen. What went wrong. Nipple and drum threads were good. Thanks in advance.

Why were you not wearing any hearing protection? :nono: I always wear hearing protection even if I'm by myself at the range. At least you had on sun glasses. I'm glad you were not hurt too badly, and I hope your hearing loss is not permenant.

Had a nipple come out of a 45 Kentucky in about 1976 on a hunting trip to Gunsight, TX. It had a flash cup held on by the nipple. And, it limited the thread engagement enough so that eventually it gave way. Don't know where it went and I didn't get hurt.
Was shooting .44 round ball and 65 grains of FFFg. You could pick the nose off of dinner with that old drug store Japanese rifle. It had six tiny narrow little bitty lands so it was tight patches.

Since the subject was brought up I'll ask a silly question.TOW shows several oversize nipples for 1/4-28 but say oversize tap needed.I searched the catalog,but cannot find any oversized taps listed.Has anyone tried just screwing in a .005 oversize into the 1/4-28 or did you find a special tap?And where?

Dixie Gunworks mentions screwing oversized nipples into worn out nipple holes so I tried it on an original Belgian pistol.

To say it worked poorly is an understatement.

I even tried filing two cutting teeth into the threads of one nipple with a triangular file leaving the "attacking" side of the cutter perpendicular to the axis of the thread so it would cut somewhat like a tap.

It still did a poor job with some galling present.

Dixie Gunworks mentions screwing oversized nipples into worn out nipple holes so I tried it on an original Belgian pistol.
Many of the charts and advisories given in the Dixie catalog are incorrect. At one time it was about all we had for guidance and, for that reason, many began to accept it was ml gospel. Ain't so. :shake:
The oversized nipple thing is one of the worst and potentially dangerous.

Oversized nipples are for worn breechs/drums .And over sized taps are sold. But I do know some people who have followed the old Dixie method of using them to "force thread" a new thread. Much like "roll taps" are used to form threads rather than cut threads.In automotive work they often use "roll taps " to restore damaged threads. It can work and actually give a strong thread but it just as easily can ruin a threaded breech/drum. I would leave the method to those that know what they are doing. :idunno: :idunno:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Necchi,
I looked and looked,but couldn't find them.I figured they had to be there.Now I really feel stupid.They weren't listed with the nipples when viewed from the index.

Yes I agree,but the general consensus on most forums is about a 50/50 chance the drum will come out without thread damage on a cva gun even with heat.It,s not the price,actually is cheaper than the tap.

necchi said:
stude 283 said:
Since the subject was brought up I'll ask a silly question.TOW shows several oversize nipples for 1/4-28 but say oversize tap needed.I searched the catalog,but cannot find any oversized taps listed.Has anyone tried just screwing in a .005 oversize into the 1/4-28 or did you find a special tap?And where?
http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/0/1/TOOL-TAP-05[/quote]

I use a .010 oversized nipple in my target rifle, after using a .005 oversized for a few thousand rounds. Without retaping. It seems every two or thee thousand rounds the nipples start to be loose So I just go up a size, a litle tight the first few times for cleaning but after a while they fit well. I may some day go up to .015 but I don't shoot as much as I used to. :idunno:

Back