• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

nipple won't come off

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The nipple probably needs replacing anyway. So, you can sometime break threads loose by hitting them with a hammer, but the barrel would need to be secured,(out of the stock, obviously ), probably need two people and a piece of solid metal to place on the nipple. It's not like driving a nail, just light taps, will sometimes break it loose, along with all's that's already been mentioned.

K&W Knock'er loose works really well for seriously rusty threads, but by the sound of it heat might be your best option. I would try heating just the nipple itself, then sprits it with water, which will kind of shock it and help it to break loose :v

Good advice above from everyone. The final solution? Remember to remove the nipple and clean it - the threads, fire vent and seat - after every shooting session. If you don't it will only lead to rust again and, very likely, misfires as well.

Yes, however this turns out lesson learned, although all I did after I bought it was clean it, shoot it, then clean it again, I never put anything on the threads, my mistake for sure & I'm paying for it.
The nipple was removable after the initial cleaning but maybe wasn't completely dry or maybe it was the act of shooting the gun, but if I'd only lubed the threads I probably wouldn't have this problem :doh:

I always put a drop of choke tube lube on the threads, of screws, on BP guns. Use a tooth pick and keep it off the bottom. Any nipple or screw that gets regularly removed, is subject to a lot of wear, if not protected. The blue lube isn't as messy as the gray type, with graphite in it.

Thanks, I'll pick some up. Would a small amount of grease or the anti-seize stuff you use on the threads of spark plugs work in the meantime ?

Just a little dab of just about anything from STOS, Bore Butter, or plain old vaseline. One other thing is you don't have to reef them down super tight, I have found that by just getting it snug does the trick, easy does it. I've experimented with actually just using about as much force as my little pinky can exert on the wrench handle is about all I need, there is zero pressure lost and it never backs out. I pull the nipple every time I clean the rifle and that is at least 3-4 times a week, been doing that with this older GPR for over six months with no negative results, threads are still nice and tight, practically zero play or wiggle in the threads.

My experience with a nipple that won't get out is : try to tighten it a little YES tighten it and than you wil get some movenemnt on it .

I would to thank you all for your help & suggestions, I finally got the nipple off, whoo-hoo ! I was getting close to giving up & taking it to a gunsmith :surrender:
I especially want to thank Kinman, Billnpatti, & Gunman100 for their suggestions. I heated it with a torch like Kinman mentioned then sprayed it with PB Blaster, then immediately submerged the nipple in Blaster & let it sit overnight again. Then I picked up a good quality nipple wrench with a socket like Billnpatti mentioned. Then I did what Gunman100 suggested, tighten a little first to try to break it loose then I was able to finally remove that darn nipple! :)
To all of you... :bow:

That "tighten it before you loosen it" technique is an old plumbers trick to break loose old rusty pipes and valves.

I don't know why it works but it often does.

I'm glad you got it off and I think we all learned a little something in the process. Hope you have some good shooting ahead of you.

Zonie said:
That "tighten it before you loosen it" technique is an old plumbers trick to break loose old rusty pipes and valves.

I don't know why it works but it often does.

If I tried that with my luck I'd twist it off. I have a bad habit of stripping out nuts and bolts.

I hear you, same here, but I was at the point where I figured what the heck, give it a try....ever so carefully though

Back