• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Gut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is it possible to remove the tenderloins without gutting the animal? Tenderloins are on the inside of the rib cage and are the best part of a deer. :confused:

marmotslayer said:
If there are trees handy, you can tie the legs on one side up high so as to be able to skin without having to hold the legs up. If no trees within reach, the tent pegs are used as a substitute.
Excellent idea. I generally hunt whitetails in the trees, so it's no problem to tie the legs off. I always carry a line for that in my kit of cleaning equipment and supplies. Of course, the situation for us Eastern flatlanders is very different.

Yes, I'd imagine using a block and tackle by yourself for an elk would be an exercise in frustration, to say nothing of the hernia.

Spence

George said:
Yes, I'd imagine using a block and tackle by yourself for an elk would be an exercise in frustration, to say nothing of the hernia.

And how! We went to no-gut on moose first, after trying a B&T just to roll one of the blooming things. Might have worked, but there wasn't a bush or rock within 200 yards to tie to! Of course, we had already used the B&T to winch our Super Cub out of the willows after overshooting on a downwind landing on a nearby lake.... Don't ask! :haha:

Up here we're hunting Roosevelt Elk, while in the Southwest we're hunting Rockies. Rosies are just a whole lot bigger, closer to moose size. I've gutted Rockies when it looked like we could get a tractor or truck to them and bring them out whole, but always no-gut if horses or backpacks are involved. I can honestly say I've never gutted out a Rosie, except to finish the job and get to the sweet innards.

Interesting side note: In Alaska you're required to recover all edible meat, including necks and rib meat. Lots of tickets have been written for wanton waste when folks leave behind the rib meat. Be forewarned- In Alaska you're going to be gutting even after doing the no-gut on a big animal, and even if you don't want the sweet innards. I can see how you could get to the tenderloins without gutting, but I'm not about to go slicing out the rib meat without gutting.

Jayhem said:
How is it possible to remove the tenderloins without gutting the animal? Tenderloins are on the inside of the rib cage and are the best part of a deer. :confused:

Go from the back making a cut from tail to base of skull and peel hide towards belly. This way also if you want the cape it keeps you safe. Cut off that side legs at foreleg and remove front qrts, then backstrap then rear qrts, rib meat then neck meat flip over and repeat cut through rib cage at back bone, only a couple back ribs and grab the tasty tenderlions.

Capper said:
George said:
Would you please describe what you mean by no gut?

Spence

It means to leave the guts in the animal while removing the quarters, backstrap, and tenderloins. You can skin the quarters before removing or not. I like to skin them.

Here's a CD you can buy to teach you. You can also learn a lot buy goggling No Gut Method for Elk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhAqaXuPR4M

Thats the beggining of my butchering process in the field if I shoot it in the morning, I then remove the guts for the heart, liver,tenders and rib meat.
This is the way I do it.
DSCF4216.jpg

DSCF4220.jpg
DSCF4222.jpg

DSCF4224-1.jpg

DSCF4226.jpg

DSCF4232.jpg

DSCF4233.jpg

DSCF4234.jpg

DSCF4231.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that's what I call step-by-step photos.

Greenmtnboy, probably a good think you killed that elk, since I can see by the pic that she had a huge heart defect and was going to die soon anyway. Bill

Thanks for the pictures. They're worth a thousand words.

I'm not big on taking pictures, but I sure enjoy yours.

I guess I should buy a camera. :hmm:

I use the no gut method on road killed deer,my friends daughter was the 4th car to hit a buck as the story goes it summer saulted over the first 3 cars and she hit it's neck. so I peeled it from the back extracted the perfectly good back straps shoulders and one back leg and most of another. I at told the deer did close to 20 k in dammage to the hoods winshields roofs and trunks of these cars and ball joint of the friends daughters car. that deer was about 400 a pound for that burger. I did not gut him for fear he had ruptured internal organs.

I drove up to St Elmo today, and saw 15 deer crossing the road. If I wasn't aware that that road has a lot of deer I could have easily hit one.

They aren't very smart. They see a car coming and run right out in front of it.

I wish I saw that many when i'm hunting.

"I'm very tempted to play their game and get an inxxxx and use a scope and sabots in their season. Take away their tags and a chance to get an Elk. I can do the same with my Hawken, but I can't take those 250yd shots like they can."

you would be better off with a whitworth or a volunteer rifle at 250 yards than an inxxxx,wouldn't yah?

Isn't that a Marbles knife? I have one just like it. That's a job, but the reward makes it worth it.

Yes it is a marble, I use a woods craft and a field craft I put into a stack leather sheath I built I also have my Grandfathers 1920 marble's he got on his wedding day.
I used that knife sence I was eight until Marble's can back on line a few years ago than I bought four.
one for my wife one for every day and two fer huntin'
Won't support those un American bastards any more now that their knifes are made over seas.
:barf: :barf: :bull:

DSCF3711.jpg

DSCF3704.jpg

hawk 2 said:
"I'm very tempted to play their game and get an inxxxx and use a scope and sabots in their season. Take away their tags and a chance to get an Elk. I can do the same with my Hawken, but I can't take those 250yd shots like they can."

you would be better off with a whitworth or a volunteer rifle at 250 yards than an inxxxx,wouldn't yah?

I'm just upset. I wouldn't buy anything but traditional. I even fish with a 70 year old bamboo rod.

To be honest a 250 yd shot is shooting. Not hunting. I'm working on getting closer and closer. I'm also slowly get rid of all my camo. It looks so wrong with a ML.

Me,too. I hunted with cf's for a while, and (this is gonna sound like bragging) it was getting easier to kill an elk or deer. Then I tried to bowhunt, and that was a joke. Couldn't hit anything. I wounded a cow and didn't find her (shot her through the neck and I assume I just hit meat). I was so upset. We looked for days and found no blood. I threw my bow away. Then I found ml. I'm here to stay, and no camo! HAPPY VETERANS DAY!!

Marbles knives came back when Mike Stewart was head of the knife division 1997 or so.
He left when they wanted to produce overseas.

Now he mfg's Bark River Knives, made in Escanaba MI.
Great quality and value.

Up until last year I hunted only with a longbow and made everything myself. Right down to the strings. At the end of last year I got thrown off of a horse and messed my shoulder up. I can shoot the bow now, but only a few shots at a time. If I can't practice all the time then I won't shoot at critters!

I Figured a MLer was the next best thing. I'm really liking it.

Good for you, super, my best friend fell in a rock slide while goat hunting and tore his rotator cuff so bad he had surgery. Had to give up bow hunting. I tried to get him to ml, but he doesn't like guns, being a nam vet. I think that's pretty sad. He loved hunting. :idunno:

Never butchered an elk or moose, quite a few deer the traditional way. But as a small boat sailor I became very familiar with various blocks (pulleys) and arrangements of tackle. The little prepackaged ones mentioned are pretty useless. But if you have any access to marine supplies (particularly used or surplus) there are good lightweight blocks and you can make your own light rig with any tackle you want, 3:1, 4:1,etc. This is a VERY useful thing you can actually haul stuff up with (I have lifted diesel engines, for example. Just a suggestion, Good smoke. God Bless, Ron in FL ( no mooses in geezer condos)

Excellent point Ron!

There are blocks, and then there are blocks. Internal friction in the cheap ones can overcome any potential gain in mechanical advantage. Good ones from the marine world are smooth as glass and work like charms. As long as you have something to tie to!!! :grin:

BTW- We solved the "tie to" problem in tundra by carrying an aluminum Danforth in the plane. A stake might work just as well for moving a critter.

Back