• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Gut

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Capper said:
No gut. The only move you make is to roll it over one time.

Agreed if they're on dry ground or relatively flat ground or not in a blow down. Moose have a nasty tendency to climb out in the water and muck to die. Big bull buffalo are still too big to roll even after you've taken the top half off. I've used as many as three horses to pull an elk out of one blow down before we could even start cutting. I've used my Bronco and two horses to drag a trophy buff out of a deep draw. Without Broncos and horses, tackle and tie downs, a guy would be better off to pack a fork and eat them on the spot! :rotf:

The big animals you don't hang. A buffalo or a moose take help, as in other bodies, and if you are boning they can help you turn it over.
As for the cheap block and tackles, I don't know if mine is cheap or not, but two of us have hauled an elk in a tree many times, and I've done it by myself a few. I'm beginning to sound like a broken record, if you are alone cut the animal in half and hoist half in the tree at a time. I've even quartered it on the ground and hung the quarters in a tree or on a fence until I could come back and haul them out.

rtdoug said:
Marbles knives came back when Mike Stewart was head of the knife division 1997 or so.
He left when they wanted to produce overseas.

Now he mfg's Bark River Knives, made in Escanaba MI.
Great quality and value.

No doubt!!
I got a first production run Bark River knife as hunting tip a few years ago from a very happy Client.
I gave it to my wife for a wedding present and she skinned her first buck with it.
Very sharp very good quality!!

deer2004032.jpg

DSCF2711-1.jpg

BrownBear said:
Excellent point Ron!

There are blocks, and then there are blocks. Internal friction in the cheap ones can overcome any potential gain in mechanical advantage. Good ones from the marine world are smooth as glass and work like charms. As long as you have something to tie to!!! :grin:

BTW- We solved the "tie to" problem in tundra by carrying an aluminum Danforth in the plane. A stake might work just as well for moving a critter.

Yup I carry some hemp rope and two 1/4" steel stakes.

"I gave it to my wife for a wedding present and she skinned her first buck with it."

Gotta love a woman like that.

You're lucky. :thumbsup:

Back