• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No homebrewers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brew, but nothing much traditional in my set-up. I do use an old coffee mill that is 100+ years old to crack the barley and a bottle capper dated 1912, both old family pass-downs. ;-) Mule Brain's set-up is far above & beyond my 8 gallon plastic primary fermenter and 5 gallon glass carboy secondaries.

Everything else is plastic or stainless steel . . . well, except for my brewing spoons. They're unfininished beechwood.

I also vint wine occasionally.

Lostrifle is right. Distilling any alcohol in the USA is 100% illegal unless you have a license.

You can brew or ferment beer or wine though. It is up to 200 gallons per year per household which is comprised of 2 adults.

Swampy said:
Sure, and heres a previous thread on it.

I use 4 gallons of fresh pressed apple cider, 8 lbs of honey, 1 lb of brown suger, half lb chopped dates, half lb chopped raisins. Lalvin D-47 yeast and enough water to bring the fermenter to 5 gallons. Left it alone for 6 weeks and then raked it. I let it remain in a carboy for about 3 more months then I bottled it. Gonna have to setup 3 batches at least next year cause every body here loves it. Down to two bottles left now after giving most of it away. :haha: :thumbsup:
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/.../232973/post/704802/hl//fromsearch/1/[/quote]

I'm having a hard time finding a good definition of what "Raking" is.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raking is when you transfer your brew from the primary fermenter into another, usually a Carboy. This gets the brew off of most of the spent yeast that settles on the bottom. Leaving it to long can effect the taste on some things and raking once or twice can help to clarify some things especially wines.

Mule Brain said:
Brewing beer huh? :hmm:

Sounds good to me!

Been doing all grain, for quite a spell! If you need any historic recipes, just let me know!

I open ferment, and run 14 gallon batches.

P7310028.jpg

firstfullrigbrew10.jpg

Nice setup there I'm still using the old cooler setup for my mash-tun. It would be great to see a period recipe.

Thats a whole 'nother forum there. I will, however, share an ancient pumpkin beer recipe I found in an old book from the early 1800's. Choose a well ripened thick walled pumpkin of prodigious size. Remove the seeds by means of a stout butter paddle. Fill the cavity with pure cane sugar and place the top back on. Set on the porch in the shade for a couple of weeks. Strain through a cloth and imbibe! Never quite had the courage to try it. It does sound better than "Old Cock Ale" though.

Thanks to Jimmy Carter, you can distill your own shine. You just need a permit, it's been awhile since I checked on cost, but its reasonable. You can not sell it. You do not pay taxes on it. You are supposed to keep records so if the revenooers come and check, they can tell where its all gone to. If used for fuel you can distill a lot, but it must be "denatured" in storage so as to deter unlawful commerce.

Mule Brain said:
Brewing beer huh? :hmm:

Sounds good to me!

Been doing all grain, for quite a spell! If you need any historic recipes, just let me know!

I open ferment, and run 14 gallon batches.

P7310028.jpg

firstfullrigbrew10.jpg

Most definatelly , recipe please :thumbsup:

[[/quote]

I'm having a hard time finding a good definition of what "Raking" is. [/quote]

I believe the word you're looking for is "ra-C-king". Perhaps a typo, or someone's alternate way of pronouncing it.

Ghettogun said:
Thanks to Jimmy Carter, you can distill your own shine. You just need a permit, it's been awhile since I checked on cost, but its reasonable. You can not sell it. You do not pay taxes on it. You are supposed to keep records so if the revenooers come and check, they can tell where its all gone to. If used for fuel you can distill a lot, but it must be "denatured" in storage so as to deter unlawful commerce.

I'm fairly sure you are right but not only can you not sell it you cannot even transport it to another location - it must be for home consumption only

any ways I cannot drink beer, used to but now I don't care for the taste of it. good homemade red wine however I am fond of but not sweet wine.
good white liquor I also like cut with some cold spring water, camped out it's fine around the firepit of a cold evening. many times I've camped out on frozen ground with snow blowing and had a jug of squeezings around.

Thanks, Swampy.

I started a batch of mead last night. This should be interesting. :grin:

You can also use a cooler filled with water and an aquairum heater to maintain your brewing temp.
I just finished brewing 5 gallons of Irish Stout Beer...Yummmmmm,,,hic

Timely topic because I was asking about a brew my parents made when I was rather young. At a recent family reunion, I asked if anyone knew how to make it and some knew of the ingredients but no one could detail how to make it. I assume it was a Southwest or Mexican thing and it was called "Topache."

What I remember is the peels of a pineapple,(other fruits may have been added, too) and marichino cherries were fermented in water, brown sugar and yeast. Once it started producing the alcohol, it was strained and placed in the refrigerator for occassional hits. I remember this stuff tasting pretty rough, but it was indeed a concoction that had a kick.

The strange thing is I can find no reference to the name of it or a recipe.

TexiKan

scalper said:
You can also use a cooler filled with water and an aquairum heater to maintain your brewing temp.
I just finished brewing 5 gallons of Irish Stout Beer...Yummmmmm,,,hic

That is fine, as long as your aquarium heater can keep up a mash temp of 150 degrees, for at least an hour.

I used to use a cooler mash tun I built, and if you strike the water at 170, it will hold a good mash temp upwards of 150 for an hour!

Perfect!

I moved onto half barrels, because I am very thirsty! :grin:

I just got my first wheat beer online yesterday, and it is sure tasty!

I am thinking of doing a homebrew how to on youtube soon!

Back