• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

non-persona

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graybeard

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the forum, but I have no persona. I'm just an old timer who is comfortable in the woods and likes to shoot a flintlock. I sometimes carry the flinter and a replica of an 1860 Army Colt, which certainly isn't period correct. At age 72 I no longer roll up in a blanket and sleep on the ground. I take advantage of all the modern technology to stay warm and dry and comfortable. But it is great fun to walk the woods with a flintlock and stay comfortable without a "tin tipi" and electricity. I lack the dexterity to make things and no longer earn the money to buy period things, so just make do with what I have, which may be what the longhunters did. Graybeard

I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the forum, but I have no persona.

Rest assured, you will have to do a lot worse than have no persona to get kicked off this forum...

Now, if you wore buckskins and carried an inline with a scope, then. . . :haha:

graybeard,
if i ever get to w.michigan we will have to meet. we could take our canes and have a walk in the woods.trust me graybeard you have a persona !!!!!! :master: :imo: :m2c:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

Mr. Greybeard,
On a daily basis, we are the same. We have a lot of muskeg and don't like wet feet, for example. Rubber bottomed boots for us! We will respect the rules of a Rondy site and dress accordingly or not go, as the mood strikes. It is their event and we do not have a problem with that.
Best Wishes

Greybeard

My persona is you! ha!

Almost anyway. You have a little over a decade on me and we are fortunate enough to be able to purchase some things that make us acceptable at most rondys. But it is a hobby and I am not sure I would enjoy myself if I were constantly being inspected and critiqued and I don't do dialects very well.

Now don't get me wrong, I respect and admire those that are very accurate and period correct but just having fun in camp is more important to me. The more time I spend talking to everyone, a persona is not that important unless that is what YOU WANT TO DO.

If I had one, I would be a retired trapper sometime before 1840. For me, this is easy. I am retired, have a bit of belly and I don't have all the things that make an active trapper's camp truly well equiped.

C'mon up. I even walk in the woods in the winter time, but there's a lot of Thinsulate between me and the cold. Walking in the woods anytime with a flintlock is good exercise and lets me feel like a longhunter, even if I don't look like one. Walking on snowshoes with a rifle in one's hand isn't hard at all, but walking on snowshoes and carrying a big cooler full of food and beverage is. Graybeard

Graybeard: That sounds like a persona to me. The name itself speaks loud and clear hear it a wise sage to follow and learn from. Our elders were smart enough to stay in camp with the comforts of camp and let the younger bucks due the running around. We just try to guide them with good advice. Glad to have you here and hopefully for many more years to come.
Fox

I hope this doesn't get me kicked off the forum, but I have no persona.

I'd rather camp with a fellow with no persona than a fellow with no personality.

:m2c:

Jon

I dunno...the more I think about it...the more I scratch my head. Granted there is a "thing" about being PC...god I hate that word or term. Now, I can see being what I call outright persnickety about fitting the time period if one is protraying a persona of a Brit or Colonial in the Revolutionary War..or any war for that matter. However, my interst is in the fur trade area. That said...I cannot in my wildest imaginings picture a couple of trappers out in the bush in what is now Montana living out of a white tent. They would have to be plain nuts..or have some kind of death wish. Looking at what I see in pics of rondevous events...it seems to me a lot of people are more dresses up as traders than trappers. I dunno..maybe they have a thing about being squeaky clean or something. But then it may be my age also....I am at least two generations behind the young crowd that takes daily showers and worries if thier beard is scratchy to the ladies...or have a thing about losing hair...and on and on. Would I go to a rondevous..of course I would..and I would also be the first person to, if some PC cop got overly picky to plant my boot up his backside. The way I see it...a gathering like the one I am interested in ought to be a fun as well as a learning experience...not some damm retreat for history fanatics.

Like I tell the students in our hunter saftey classes, How you do it is only as important as you want it to be.(as long as they're safe about it) What is important is that you get out and do it. Most of my hunting is done with a muzzleloader of some sorts. I get some strange looks once in a while but I'm still having fun. I'll show up in camo's with my grandson (he'll be 11 this summer)for dove. He's got his 20ga. pump, I have my 20ga double percussion. Squirrel and I shift to my 32 flint or percussion. He still carries his pump. I tell him he's my backup in case I miss(he says when I miss!!). We have the best time ever. I've just found over the years that I like the old ways better. :front:

I started shooting muzzleloaders back in the 70's. The closest thing to a persona was Fess Parker on TV. In fact, my shooting bag is the fringed bag from that time. I never got involved with the clubs and gatherings. I built my kits, shot them, and hunted with them. Info was Sam Fadala, J Wayne Fears, or a Muzzleblasts picked up from a Tandy leather store. After all those years, I started going to the shoots and gatherings a couple of years ago. I went to sign up at one and they told me I had to be in period dress to shoot. Jerry L. said he would put me in a shirt and off to the camper we went. I have the guns. I now have a shirt and a pattern to make a tunic, just to be acceptable to the people there. I have no interest in being anyone but me.

I see little difference between walking off into the woods with my scoped high tech pre-charged air rifle or with my 36 squirrel rifle. Most of what I see done for period correct is just one way to skin a cat. There are many ways. Crawl under a cedar. Cut the limbs off one side about four foot up. Tie one corner of your tarp to the trunk and stake two of the other corners as seems appropriate. Tie the other up to a limb. You now have a period correct shelter to ride a storm out in. Drop the open side and tie to the base of the tree when the weather hits. Not only will it keep ya dry, it can be really hard to find unless you know where it is. The cut branches can make a nice bed and will provide plenty of small dry tender to start a fire with when the storm is over. I am not PC I guess.

Dad bought 72 acres snuggled up to 12 sections of national forest last year. I have a base camp with a microwave and right across the road I have a trail that leads to places I have not been. I will spend a few days in there this year living on what I have with me. I will likely have boots on, since that is what I own. I will likely have trail mix instead of the more PC options. I will have a knife and a hawk. I will have a gun, whether it is the air rifle or the 36 does not really matter. I will have some fishing line and hooks. I will have a couple of pans, a tarp, a blanket, and I will have my digital camera! What I find out there does not care if I am PC or not. Anyone that wants to make a trip with me is welcome, but don't come as a PC judge. I only pass the PC test on my love of the outdoors. Heck, most of my guns are caplocks, so I must be a heathen. If a person wants to be PC, then drag a 14 pound Hawken and 100 pounds of traps into camp with you next time you go out!

well, I am only 60, but I understand your point completely...when I got into this craziness it was because of a simple love of history and old rifles and walks in the woods. I had no personna either--and even now it is brief and general and changeable. I put together the clothing and gear mainly to "fit in" so's I could join in at various events, but throughout my life I have mainly been a loner, and I am happiest when alone in the deep woods taking my rifle or gun for a[url] walk...in[/url] my mind since I was a child, my personna has been that of a woodsrunner, no matter what i was wearing or what vintage rifle was in my hands... :m2c: :front: :hatsoff:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm at the ripe old age of 26 lol. I'm just starting to get into this, but have been shooting percussion with my dad for a few years, and shooting in general since about 7.

I'm not sure how far with a persona I would go, but I do have a genuine interest in this more than modern firearms. Just something about the history behind this that no one my age seems to care about. Lot of interesting stuff here and I hope to learn more.

[/quote]

Rest assured, you will have to do a lot worse than have no persona to get kicked off this forum...

Now, if you wore buckskins and carried an inline with a scope, then. . . :haha: [/quote]

Lucky for me, I don't wear buckskins. I sometimes wear shorts when I carry my scoped inline. :)

Graybeard, I'm akin to you as I am also "PC persona-less" and will likely remain that way as I hear too many voices in my head as it is and one more would really confuse me.

I'd wager big, you have plenty of persona and character. See, when I hear 72 years talking, at 42, I listen carefully.

:hatsoff: :front: :master:

Back