• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non-shooting camp games ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newly O’Brian

12ga, 32, 36, 44, 45, 54 and 58 cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for ideas for non-shooting camp games for the women folk and children.(I have the gun stuff figured out)

I'm having my birthday party 1824ish style! (Sorry, just a family event).

2E56DEFA-C204-4CB5-9DDD-1A4BAF208DA9.jpeg

Ring toss..
Drive a stake and toss a ringer..

We used to play a game and I can’t remember the name. It is played with a long length of rope, two cross sections of a tree about 10 inches in diameter and about 12-14 inches tall and two contestants. The game starts with both opponents standing on their stumps of wood with about 10 feet of rope between them and about 10 feet of rope behind each opponents. Game is usually played barefoot and the object is to each hold the rope and try to dislodge the opponent from their stump. Lots of fun !!

Another thing we used to do at events was make up a couple pairs of stilts out of 2x3s. A 6-7 foot length with a step about 14-16 inches up from the bottom would make for a fun experience for the kids to walk on.

games for the women folk and children.
Frying pan toss for distance.
Watermelon seed spitting contest.
Have a few period tables (or large stumps) set up with board games like checkers, chess, and backgammon. Maybe under a large "dining fly)
Maybe under the same fly offer several of those blacksmiths puzzles.
Hoop race.
Sack race.
3 legged race.

Is the camp in or adjacent to a large open field? Maybe kite flying (could even look into old time kite building and have the kids make their own) or kite fights.

We used to play a game and I can’t remember the name. It is played with a long length of rope, two cross sections of a tree about 10 inches in diameter and about 12-14 inches tall and two contestants. The game starts with both opponents standing on their stumps of wood with about 10 feet of rope between them and about 10 feet of rope behind each opponents. Game is usually played barefoot and the object is to each hold the rope and try to dislodge the opponent from their stump. Lots of fun !!
Be good for the kids, but us old folk would break a hip for sure. Be fun to watch.:cool:

Big Kid/Little Kid Egg Toss - everyone lines up facing each other 3 feet apart. Adults on one side, kids on the other. One egg handed out to each pair adult. The egg is tossed to the kid on signal. Then they both step back a a step. Then on signal; the kid tosses the egg back. Everyone steps back a step; the adult tosses the egg back. Repeat until one egg survives with it’s adult/kid team - the winners!

Hey another thing we used to do, which isn’t for the small kids but the bigger ones have participated, is the knife n hawk. We set up a block and post a playing card. Everyone who enters puts up a dollar bill in the pot. First person to cut that card takes the pot. Then we start over again. Doesn’t break the bank and keeps people interested.

Bobbin' for apples is a crowd pleaser.

So is rock chuckin' - hang something from a limb and throw rocks at it - perhaps a character portrait of an unpopular individual. Kids love to throw rocks. Make a "Bag Swing" out of a burlap bag, rope, and old clothes. Few kids today've ever seen a bag swing, let alone wrapped legs around one and swooped away. My grandkids have more toys than most stores, but were fascinated by a gosh-durn "wrist rocket" slingshot.

You could also just get a load of dirt piled high and let them be kids. When recess at school includes active shooter drills, we've a major problem. HAVE FUN!!!

Back