• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Non Toxic Shot ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FlintlockHunter said:
What is a good non toxic shot and wadding? I need something for waterfowl. Thanks.

When I used to hunt waterfowl in Oregon with a regular shotgun on a Federal reserve, my buddy loaded up all our shells with bb's. They're steel, not lead and are legal to use for waterfowl. I do have to warn you though that steel shoots significantly different than lead, and it is really hard so it doesn't compress. That's why all the modern waterfowl guns have chrome lined barrels and are never full choke. The steel shot would eventually carve out the choke so it was basically cylinder bore.

I don't think it would be a problem with a smoothbore because I don't think they really have any choke on them, but I don't own a smoothbore so I don't know. I just wanted to make sure you knew what shooting steel shot can do to a barrel that is choked.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

My guns are without choke. I am hesitant about using plastic wads. I thought a non-toxic softer than steel might be best in my unprotected bores.

I just posted this in another thread but... I recently bought 7 lbs. of Bismuth BB shot from Ballistic Products - they had #2 and BB still available (the Bismuth company went out of business due to the owner's death). Be prepared to pay a premium price, though! (I couldn't afford to stock up on more than 7 lbs.) Good luck with the ducks & geese! :hatsoff:

I know there are some new products out there that might be the ticket. I'm worried that I may not find the answer in time for this season. What in the heck are all you waterfowlers using out there?

I was looking at this problem myself and found that most of the non toxic shot sold for some real high prices. And did not sell in 25 pound weights either.

I bought a package of 20 gauge shot cups at a local shop that sells reloading supplies. Haven got around to trying them yet. Came 250 to a package. Might work for BB's.

Started using 1/4 inch felt pads soaked in 50% BButter 50% Crisco with #6 lead shot works great in my GM 62 smothie on pheasant over dogs. Scared the heck out of the people at the club now they think my hammer gun is a unfair advantage. Go figure.

Felts might work with BB's without a choke.

Latest posts

Back